Finding Motivation: Tips for Avoiding Winter Burnout

Gabi Frank/ Villanovan Photography
As the seasons change, so too must our habits in order to stay productive and healthy.

Feeling stressed, burnt out or tired from this winter weather? Many Villanovans are feeling the same way. With midterms approaching and temperatures feeling sub-zero, it can be hard to find motivation on a daily basis. To help guide you through this period of hibernation, here are some tips and tricks from fellow Villanovans on how to stay inspired in this dreary era. 

Adopting a morning ritual can be a great way to find some motivation to start one’s day. Whether it is grabbing your favorite latte from Holy Grounds or heading to bulldog yoga for a class, grounding oneself in consistency has a great impact on one’s well-being. This is certainly the case for junior Natalia Garcia Luna, who talked about the importance of her morning ritual.

“Although it might sound silly, I have always found that I have a better start to my day when I sit by the window in my apartment for five minutes each morning,” Garcia Luna said. “It’s an important part of my morning ritual and helps me find motivation for the day.”

Although it can seem intimidating to brave the cold temperatures, some fresh air is always good for the soul. Put on some tunes or call your loved ones and find peace in being around nature.

“I find a lot of joy in going on walks,” junior Ella Forese said. “I love listening to my favorite podcasts and getting some fresh air. It always makes my day feel much better.”

Spending time with friends and fellow students and grounding oneself in community is a great way to de-stress. Freshman Francesca Sanelli echoes this advice, urging individuals to find some connection in their everyday life. 

“Try to surround yourself with people, whether it be your friends or people from class,” Sanelli said. 

On campus, there are various clubs and organizations that can function as resources to help battle burnout. One of these clubs, the Bandana Project, tries to find ways to get students talking about and aware of mental health during times like these. Junior Katie Formato, Co-Event Coordinator for the Bandana Project, discussed how the club is a great opportunity to find meaningful moments during this stressful time. 

“As one of the event coordinators for the Bandana Project, we try to plan our meetings to allow people to talk to others whom they may not know,” Formato said. “We want to build community within the Bandana Project and create a safe space where people can talk with others and make new friends. We also want people to learn new skills that they can take and use and share with friends or family.”

Formato touched on one of the club’s tips for maintaining wellness, which was introduced at one of its recent meetings.

“At our general body meeting last week, we talked about self-care and affirmations,” Formato said. “It was a great way for everyone to share their favorite activities for self-care and I was able to learn about some forms of self-care that I have been trying to incorporate into my life. We also talked about affirmations and staying positive, which I think is very important when struggling with burnout. When you talk to yourself positively and take things one step at a time it can help you be more productive and more efficient when you start to feel overloaded with work.”

The winter blues can be a really difficult time for all. But remember, take care of yourself in any way that you need. If an outdoor walk is not appealing, then take a nap or watch your favorite comfort show. And always remember, you are not alone in this. Ground yourself in community through friends, family and the Villanova community.