Water Polo Records First Losses in 3–2 Weekend

The Wildcats finished the weekend 3–2 and now have a 11–2 overall record.

After improving to 8-0 this past weekend, the Wildcats looked to build onto its historic start as it faced a five-game slate this week and finished 3-2.

The Wildcats’ toughest feat of the season faced them on Thursday, against No. 8 Princeton. The game was tightly contested in the first half as they approached the break down, 3-2. Princeton returned from the break with a big 10-2 surge that helped them take the victory 18-7. After taking their first loss on the year, the Lady ‘Cats would soon return to action at the Bison invitational in Lewisburg, PA over the weekend.

Day one of the invitational concluded with two gritty games, both ending with identical scores of 10-9, with Villanova coming out on top.

In game one, against St. Francis (PA), junior Amelia Baca led with three goals and assists, while sophomore Sara Withers made sure her impact was known as she recorded two goals, two assists and three steals in the impressive win. Villanova rolled to a 7-1 halftime advantage and held on. Sophomore Gracin Kerry was rewarded with the win, as she recorded seven saves. The focus shifted to Mount Saint Mary’s for game two 

This highly intense game was close until the end, and goalie Abigail Shelby laid out in the dying seconds to prevent a game tying goal. The senior captain finished off the day with seven saves and was mobbed by teammates for her stifling effort. Emily McKenzie led the way in scoring with three goals, while the freshman duo of Tiffany Maguire and Laurent Short combined for eight points in the win. 

“Winning these close games this past weekend taught us some valuable lessons that will help us down the road in conference play,” head coach Michael Gordon said. 

These two wins helped the Wildcats reach 10 wins in the month of February for the first time in program history.

Day two of the invitational began with a tough, 9-8 loss to MAAC rival La Salle. Stella Byles and Emmie Mallory each picked up three points while Tiffany Maguire led with two goals and two assists. Goalie Gracin Kerry recorded 10 saves.

In their finale, the Wildcats responded well against Bucknell, winning, 10-8. Anna Painter and McKenzie both recorded hat tricks, while Byles had three assists. Shelby recorded nine saves in the bounce back victory.

The ‘Cats look to finish off the month strong at the Princeton Invitational on Feb. 16–17, as they face Bucknell once again and then nationally-ranked Harvard the following day.