Love on Lancaster: Valentine’s Edition

Single+or+taken%2C+commemorate+Valentine%E2%80%99s+Day+with+a+heart+shaped+pizza+and+chocolate+covered+strawberries.+
Courtesy of Maggie Fitzgerald
Single or taken, commemorate Valentine’s Day with a heart shaped pizza and chocolate covered strawberries.

Whether in a relationship, single or somewhere in between, Valentine’s Day in college is more pest than perfection. The Hallmark holiday is certainly not catered toward college students living in shoebox rooms, and Spit doesn’t exactly fit the dim-lit romantic restaurant mold.

Valentine’s Day often facilitates more anxiety than flowers, especially in college. It calls into question the status of any situationship, begging the inevitable, “What are we?”-conversation. In the age of Snapchat-over-love-letters, one has to wonder if all love is lost.

The truth is, Valentine’s Day wasn’t made for the 18-to-22-year-old crowd. We’re on lower budgets, lacking a space to ourselves and somewhat commitment averse. But that doesn’t mean it can’t be fun.

Whether you’re in the 21-plus crowd set to embark on the ultimate singles mixer this Wednesday (Mug Night), or one of those easy-to-hate-on happily in love folks, there are options for you.

Single

You’re never really flying solo as long as you have your friends. After all, Valentine’s Day is about love, and that includes platonic love. But…if we’re somewhat bitter about the whole pink, red and chocolate explosion, this is completely understandable.

Let’s save ourselves the fury and have the ultimate night in, complete with make-your-own-pizza and one of the Big Three romantic movies: The Notebook, Crazy, Stupid Love or When Harry Met Sally. If you’re dorm-bound, a group CampCo delivery is in order. Popcorn with M&Ms mixed in is certain to make this the perfect Valentine’s Night-In.

Taken

Not everyone hates your relationship, so long as you don’t over-flaunt it via Instagram stories this Wednesday. But let’s be realistic: you’re not in your mid-30s. There’s no reason to act like it. Go to a nice-ish restaurant, not a fancy restaurant. Opt for BYOB over a place that brushes your tablecloth between bites. If you’re in something long-term, add a little honeymoon phase-esque romance back into it — a little peck in the parking lot or ice cream at Hope’s for dessert.

For underclassmen, if Zipcar is booked or your older friends aren’t feeling generous with their vehicles, kindly ask your roommate for a couple hours of space and order in something fun to share. My personal recommendation is two orders of Vic’s Sushi’s three for $14.95 rolls. Perfect to share across the desk of a Sully shoebox.

There’s only one rule, one nonnegotiable, one absolute must for any Valentine: flowers.

Somewhere in between

Valentine’s Day can be very telling for those in situationships, talking stages or anything of the sort. The phrase “if they wanted to, they would,” often comes to mind. Save yourself the frustration and uncertainty and live by another mantra this V-day: no label, no plans. No more sitting around waiting for your could-be-boyfriend to maybe, just maybe schedule some last-minute, half-formed plan. If they’re not your official significant other, Wednesday, Feb. 14 should be booked and busy.

Of course, there’s always an exception. If they make plans for you all five-to-seven business days in advance, it’s only right to accept. This is a good sign you’re about to go from “somewhere-in-between” to “something.”

Valentine’s Day is overwhelming, if nothing else. But, it’s only a day. A mere 24 hours of insufferable social media love proclamations and socially-pressured romance. It can be fun, but it’s not everything. Nothing is worth the anxiety and stress that Valentine’s Day seems to induce. No matter your relationship status, nobody has power over your worth and love for yourself.