Glad I Exist: An Exploration of Happiness

Courtesy of the Department of Communication
Glad I Exist, the original show written and directed by Minh-Chau Scott.

In the upcoming weeks, the Performing Studies Area in Villanova’s Department of Communication will present Glad I Exist. It is a solo show exploring the ideas of happiness and unhappiness in alignment with what exactly defines them through forms of song, story and poetry. 

The show will explore various pieces of media, including five interviews that were recently conducted by Senior Director Min-Chau Scott. Each interview was conducted with a focus on what happiness means to the individual and the various factors in finding happiness. 

“If I had to describe the vibe of the show, I would say it’s a sort of a softer, more artistic take on a TED Talk,” Scott said. 

As a sophomore, Scott made the switch from majoring in biology to communication without any previous experience in performance studies classes. Despite not taking these courses during her freshman and sophomore years, Scott always had a passion for and involvement in theater at Villanova. It was as a junior that she first began her journey in performance studies, where she thoroughly enjoyed her new courses. Dr. Evan Schares, one of Scott’s professors, is the primary advisor for the upcoming show. 

“I especially loved the classes I took with Dr. Evan Schares and Dr. Heidi Rose,” Scott said.

As a communication major, the show will play a primary role in Scott’s senior project. Preparation for the show has been extensive but according to Scott, extremely culturally enriching as a connection between academic and personal passions. 

“I think it’s lovely that Villanova offers this avenue for a senior project that allows students to combine both their artistic and academic pursuits,” Scott said. 

As a whole, the show aims to be both heartwarming and educational, as the audience will develop a better understanding of self and happiness. 

“I hope that audiences will both have fun and leave with something to consider,” Scott said.

Performances of the show will be held on Feb. 19 and 21 at 6:30 p.m. in the Communication Department Studio located in Garey Hall’s room 029A, and admittance is free to all students.