Xavier Edges Villanova, 56–53

Sophomore guard Brendan Hausen led the Villanova offense, scoring 15 points in its 56–53 loss to Xavier.

After snapping a five-game losing streak on Sunday against Providence, Villanova basketball was searching for another victory against a tough Big East opponent. It took on Xavier on Feb. 7 in what was yet another must-win game. 

Unfortunately, the Wildcats couldn’t get it done, falling just short in a 56–53 loss.

Villanova started off slow, trailing 19–9 halfway through the first half. They turned around from there, going on a 19–7 run to close out the half for a 28–26 lead. 

The second half proved to be a competitive battle with neither team running away with the game. With nearly one minute remaining, the Wildcats were down 54–50 in a game that went down to the wire.

Sophomore guard Brendan Hausen cut the lead in half with a clutch mid-range jumper, keeping Villanova’s hopes alive. Hausen then got it done on the other end with a defensive rebound that led to a foul by Xavier. With the Wildcats being in the bonus, Hausen stepped up to the free throw line.

Hausen sank the first, but then missed the game-tying free throw. The Musketeers were able to tack on two more on free throws, making it 56–53 with just 18 seconds left.

The Wildcats had time to get points on the board, but weren’t able to get a shot off in the time remaining. 

Head coach Kyle Neptune opted not to call Villanova’s last remaining timeout in the critical final seconds, with the team completely stuffed behind the three-point line. Time expired as redshirt senior forward Eric Dixon passed back to sophomore guard Mark Armstrong, unable to attempt a buzzer beater.

Despite the disappointing loss, the ‘Cats managed to continue playing solid defense, which brought them the opportunity to steal a win. They held the Musketeers to an overall 34.4% from the field and 22.2% from three-point range. 

On top of that, Xavier’s senior guard Quincy Olivari was fresh off a 43-point game against DePaul, but was held to just 14 points versus Villanova. 

Strong defense was just not enough, as the Wildcats couldn’t get it going on offense. They shot 33.9% from the field and 28.6% in three-pointers.

Hausen led the team in points with 15, one of his best performances of the season. Hausen was the most efficient player on the court for the Wildcats, shooting 4–8 from the field and 3–5 on three-pointers.

Dixon provided 13 points, but shot 5–15 from the field and recorded three turnovers, a team high. 

The loss puts the Wildcats at a 5–7 conference and 12–11 overall record, dropping them to ninth place in the Big East.

The Wildcats have officially entered dangerous territory where NCAA tournament hopes are in jeopardy. Nearly every game from this point on is a must-win for a chance to qualify for the tournament.

Villanova will look to bounce back on Sunday, Feb. 11 against Seton Hall. The Pirates currently rank third in the Big East, and the game will be another important victory for the Wildcats to secure.

Tip-off at the Wells Fargo Center is set for 12 p.m.