Winter Break Recap and Spring Semester Plans

Will+D.+Cat+reads+the+Villanovan+as+he+prepares+for+the+spring.+
Courtesy of Rachel Reiniger
Will D. Cat reads the Villanovan as he prepares for the spring.

It’s out with the old, and in with the cold. Whether one is appropriately bundled up in the classic North Face puffer and UGG boots seemingly characteristic of Villanova students or braving the below-freezing digits in a mere T-shirt and flip-flops, the abrupt plunge of the weather has introduced the so-called “spring” semester of 2024 with a frigid, but exciting nonetheless, start.  

Perhaps unsurprisingly, conditions were much more favorable before students departed for winter break, a much-needed recess from the hours of studying, all-nighters and stress of finals week. Whether one headed home to celebrate the winter holidays in the company of family and high school friends or escaped to a tropical paradise, the break was largely a worry-free time of relaxation, recovery and, most importantly, no schoolwork. 

While the comforts of home are irreplaceable, many students have been eager to return to a structured routine and reunite with their college friends. Moreover, many students express hopefulness for this semester and its exciting opportunities and events, particularly Wells Fargo basketball games with competitive teams and “rush,” or sorority and fraternity recruitment.  

Like many students, freshman Grace Johnson took the break as an opportunity to spend time with high school friends and family after months apart. Back on campus, she now hopes to test her luck with tickets for upcoming basketball games.  

“It was really nice to be home over break and see my family and friends for the holidays, but I’m happy to be back and get into a schedule and a routine again,” Johnson said. “I’m really excited to go to basketball games this semester, especially some of the bigger ones.” 

Freshman Angela Choi expressed similar gratitude for the holiday repose but is eager to be back on campus to make new friends and take new classes, which began on Tuesday, Jan. 16.

“I really enjoyed having time to relax over break, but I’m excited to meet new people in my classes and branch out,” Choi said.

Not only are students able to experiment with new areas of study and potentially delve into their major courses, but they also have the opportunity to form new connections with classmates and professors alike. The return of club meetings, too, allows students to further their participation in a previous beloved club or try out new ones. 

Another exciting feature of the University’s Spring Semester is students’ ability to partake in recruitment, particularly for freshmen, as first-year students are required to wait until their second semester to rush in order to ease into college life. Students all of other years also had the opportunity to rush if they desired. 

Students interested in rushing for a sorority returned to campus on Jan. 10. to participate in the activities, events and rounds of recruitment, which took place both virtually and in-person.  

Ava Hunn, a new member of Alpha Chi Omega, commented on her experience as one of many freshmen who participated in sorority recruitment.  

“While the rush process was long and stressful at times, I’m ultimately so glad to be in Alpha Chi Omega,” Hunn said. “It’s allowed me to to meet and form friendships with so many nice girls that I otherwise would never have met.” 

It’s no secret that the lengthy rush process can be overwhelming and stressful at times. The chance to learn about various sororities’ philanthropies and form genuine connections with current members as well as others that rushed, however, seemed to make the process worthwhile for many. 

“I especially enjoyed the philanthropy round because it gave me the chance to ask questions and connect with current members,” Hunn said.

Sorority and fraternity recruitment, the start of new classes and clubs, an exciting basketball season and the opportunity to branch out and cultivate new relationships are only a few key components of the University’s Spring Semester. Of course, the shift of the seasons to what most think of when they hear “spring” – pleasant warm weather, the blooming of flowers and the ability to glance outside after 4 p.m. and not see a depressingly dark sky – is also eagerly anticipated by many.  

Regardless of how students spent their winter breaks and of their plans for the new semester, students are reunited on campus once again for a wonderful time until the upcoming Spring Break, looming teasingly ahead.