Villanova Defeats Butler, 65-54

Freshman guard Maddie Webber scored a career-high 18 points in the win.

Freshman guard Maddie Webber scored a career-high 18 points to help lift Villanova over Butler at Hinkle Fieldhouse Saturday night, 65-54. The win improves the Wildcats to 11-5 overall and 4-1 in conference play.

Webber paired her 18-point performance with four assists and five rebounds. Junior guard Lucy Olsen contributed 15 to the scoring effort. Olsen was the only other Wildcat in double figures. Junior forward Christina Dalce anchored the ‘Cats’ defense with 13 rebounds, four blocks and two steals.

The Wildcats led the game from start to finish. Their lead was as large as 17 with 2:27 left in the third.

Villanova started the game on a 10-0 run. It finished the first quarter with a 10-point lead, 18-8.

The Bulldogs (8-8, 0-5 Big East) went on an 11-0 run in the second over 5:44 that cut the deficit to one, 20-19. 

Villanova found its offensive stride in the third quarter. The ‘Cats went on another 10-0 run, scoring 22 in the period. Nine of Webber’s 18 came in the third quarter, while Olsen added six. The team shot 50% from the field in the third quarter.

Even with a 10-3 Butler run in the fourth, the Bulldogs could only manage to cut the lead to nine. 

The ‘Cats’ 12-point effort in the final quarter was enough to secure a comfortable victory over the Bulldogs, 65-54.

Villanova’s next game action will come against No. 23 Marquette (14-2, 3-2 Big East) on Wednesday, Jan. 17 at the Finneran Pavilion. The game is scheduled for a 7 P.M. tip and will be broadcast on FloSports.