A Call for More Dining Hall Appreciation

Bella Irwin/Villanovan Photography
Students should be more appreciative of Villanova’s dining halls and their staff.

Often, we find ourselves in a rush and are unable to slow down and truly appreciate the small (and large) conveniences that greatly assist us students in boosting our quality of living. One of the greatest commodities at Villanova University are the dining halls, and no, not just for their chocolate bread pudding.

Upon entering the various dining halls throughout campus, students are greeted by smiling employees who work tirelessly to ensure that the Villanova dining experience is delicious, clean and enjoyable. There are limitless options consistently being restocked and monitored by attentive staff members, with numerous dietary restrictions being taken into careful consideration. 

If you’re a student with Celiacs, there is a dedicated gluten-free pasta station available with numerous topping and sauce options. If you’re a student who is coming back from a difficult sports practice or lift at the Davis Fitness Center, there is a self-serve line of healthy grains and proteins to ensure all students have access to proper nutrition. 

If you’re a student who is having a bad day, the Friday night ice cream bar can certainly help with that. All of this is to say that regardless of your restrictions, preferences and nutritional goals, there is a wonderful dish awaiting you in Villanova’s dining halls.

Another area of excellence in the dining hall is the focus on sanitization to ensure the health and safety of all students. Regardless of the time of day or occupancy, you will surely witness a dining hall employee wiping off the tables, sweeping the floors and even organizing the fruit in an aesthetic fashion. 

The commitment to cleanliness allows for the dining halls to be true places of “Communitas,” with students gathering at all hours of the day to share meals.

Additionally, the hours that the dining hall boasts are a colossal part of their appeal. At Donahue Court, you can enjoy your breakfast as early as 7:30 a.m. until 11 a.m., your lunch from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., your dinner from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. and even a late night meal from 9 p.m. through 1 a.m. It is safe to say that at a Villanova dining hall, no matter the day or hour, there is something for everybody.

Lastly, perhaps the greatest part of the Villanova dining experience are the workers.  Whether it be serving your meal with a smile, asking how your classes are going, or assisting you when you just can’t figure out how to work the coffee machine, the dining hall experience is always a positive one. 

When I enter the dining hall, regardless of my schedule or priorities for that particular day, I know I am entering a space of positivity and kindness. Many members of the Blue Key Club, a group of students that serve as tour guides for potential future undergraduates, make sure to bring their prospects to the dining halls so they can see Augustinian values in action.

Many other students share these positive sentiments about Villanova’s dining halls. 

“The energy of the [dining halls] are unmatched,” freshman Alexa Blankenstein said. “It is truly a wonderful experience from start to finish.  As a vegetarian, it is so comforting to know that there are countless delicious options to ensure I am nourished and prepared for my day.”

Next time you find yourself in a Villanova dining hall, make sure to appreciate the endless ways in which it makes life as a university student so much more special.  Through the art of noticing the people and places that work tirelessly to serve the student body, we will become more grateful for the wonderful environments that foster the values of “Veritas, Unitas and Caritas.” 

View Comments (1)
$2500
$2500