WBB Preview: Wake Forest

Villanova+stands+at+3-1+on+the+season+as+they+head+down+to+North+Carolina.+
Ryan Sarbello/Villanovan Photography
Villanova stands at 3-1 on the season as they head down to North Carolina.

Villanova went 2-0 in its second week of play, beating both Temple and Holy Cross in its first two home games. The Wildcats now stand at 3-1 on the season. 

Now, Villanova will look to keep up its momentum against Wake Forest (1-3) on Nov. 26 at 12 p.m. in the LJVM Coliseum. 

Scouting The Demon Deacons:  

Wake Forest has had a slow start to its season. It came out on top in its season opener against Wofford (3-2), but is coming off a three-game losing streak against BYU (4-0), Davidson (4-1) and North Carolina A&T (3-1). 

The Demon Deacons are led by head coach Megan Gebbia. Last year, Gebbia and her team beat four NCAA Tournament teams, including wins over two Elite Eight teams, and finished 17-17 overall. They have not appeared in the NCAA tournament since 2021. 

This season, Wake Forest is led by graduate guard Kaia Harrison and junior guard Elise Williams, who are both averaging 10 points per game. 

Keep An Eye On:  

For Villanova, junior guard Lucy Olsen leads the way. In Villanova’s 90-62 win over Temple on Sunday, Nov. 19, Olsen scored a career high 40 points. This was the seventh 40-point game in Villanova women’s basketball history. 

Fellow starters senior guard Maddie Burke and junior forward Christina Dalce have also had standout performances in the Wildcats first few games. Burke is averaging 8.3 points per game, while Dalce is averaging 7.8 points per game and 8.8 rebounds per game. In Villanova’s win over the Owls, Dalce had a career high 18 boards. 

Freshman guard Maddie Webber has also been showing her talent, averaging 8.8 points and 3.8 rebounds per game.