Softball Signs Five in 2025 Class

Softball had a record of 37-22 in the 2023 season.

Villanova’s softball team is gearing up for an exciting transition with the signing of five new players for the 2025 season. The incoming class features pitchers Lexi Kobryn (Hillsborough, NJ) and Sophia Mount (Livingston, NJ), alongside multi-positional players Maddy Burns (Fallston, MD), Ava Mahnken (Staten Island, NY) and Jaclyn Morra (West Babylon, NY). All five players penned their commitment to join the Wildcats on Nov. 8, aiming to fill the voids in the team’s roster that will be left by the graduating class of 2024.

Head coach Bridget Orchard, recognizing the challenge ahead in replacing an accomplished group of players, expressed confidence in the potential of the new recruiting class. 

“I’m extremely excited about this signing class as they have a tough act to follow, since we will graduate eight who have played in and won Big East championships,” Orchard said to Villanova Athletics. “I am confident this class can step in and take advantage of the opportunity to continue our championship culture. They all love to compete, work hard and, most importantly, are great people. We’re thrilled to have them and their families join our Villanova softball family.”

Among the recruits, Burns emerges as a standout, arriving with an impressive resume as a right-handed pitcher and outfielder from Fallston High School in Fallston, MD. Burns comes to Villanova having netted four all-county and three all-state selections. In her junior year, Burns struck out 100 batters in 50 innings. Orchard had high praise for Burns.

[Burns] is a competitor,” Orchard said. “She brings a ton of energy to everything she does and will contribute as a hitter, outfielder and pitcher.”

Joining Burns is Kobryn, a right-handed pitcher hailing from The Hun School of Princeton in Hillsborough, New Jersey. In high school, Kobryn’s accolades include three first-team all-state and all-conference honors, as well as being named league MVP twice. She struck out 433 batters in 219 innings from her freshman to junior year. 

“[Kobryn] is a dominant force on the mound that gets lots of swings and misses, and she’ll contribute with the bat as well,” Orchard said. “She’s a hard worker who challenges herself on and off the field.”

Mahnken is coming to Villanova from the College of Staten Island High School for International Studies, in Staten Island, New York, where she played both shortstop and catcher. Ranked as the 31st overall player in the class of 2024 by Extra Innings, Mahnken’s versatility has caught the attention of Orchard, who believes she will contend immediately for the starting catcher position.

“[Mahnken] will come in and immediately compete for the starting catcher position,” Orchard said. “She has both power and speed at the plate, and she’s a gritty athlete that can also play the infield.”

Morra, an infielder from St. Anthony’s High School in West Babylon, New York, brings a tremendous bat and offensive potential to the Wildcats. Named the Catholic League Player of the Year as a junior, Morra’s performance garnered three selections to the all-Long Island and all-New York State teams. Morra’s offense is the cornerstone of her game, as she has maintained at least a .500 batting average in three of her high school seasons. 

“[Morra] is a fierce competitor who expects and knows how to win, she understands the winning culture coming off several state titles,” Orchard said. “She will make an immediate impact, bringing elite athleticism to the left side of the infield and RBI potential at the plate.”

Completing the recruiting class is Mount, a right-handed pitcher from Livingston High School in Livingston, New Jersey. Mount’s resume includes multiple first team all-country and all-conference selections, as well as being named second-team all-state as a freshman. Mount led Livingston to its first state championship in program history, as well as allowing a .41 ERA in her junior season. 

[Mount] is a powerful pitcher who moves the ball well and wants to win,” Orchard said. “She gets after it and her intensity on the mound really stands out, she’s a tireless worker who has competed at a high level.”

The new recruiting class won’t see the field until the spring of 2025, but Orchard is hoping that the freshmen will help contribute to the team’s future success.