Villanova Defeats Holy Cross, 63-53

Junior+guard+Lucy+Olsen+led+scorers+with+14+points+against+Holy+Cross.+
Ryan Sarbello/Villanovan Photography
Junior guard Lucy Olsen led scorers with 14 points against Holy Cross.

Villanova defeated Holy Cross, 63-53, behind 14 points from junior guard Lucy Olsen and a 13-point, 13-rebound double-double performance from senior guard Bella Runyan. The double-double was the first of Runyan’s career.

The ‘Cats won as a result of their first quarter performance. In the other three quarters, the ‘Cats were outscored by the Crusaders, 39-37.

Olsen’s nine first quarter points helped the ‘Cats build a 26-14 lead. The Crusaders never led in the game, and the ‘Cats’ largest lead was 17 with 6:40 to play in the second quarter. The Wildcats shot 3-5 from three and 10-15 from the field in the first quarter.

The second quarter would see the game’s scoring slow down significantly, after Holy Cross made a defensive shift into a zone. The ‘Cats shot 3-16 from the field and 2-10 from three in the period. Fortunately for Villanova, Holy Cross also struggled to find the nylon in the second, as it shot 4-17 from the field. At the half, the Wildcats held a 34-27 advantage.

“You always have to rely on your defense and getting stops to stay in a game,” Runyan said. “There’s going to be times where we’re making everything like the first quarter, and there’s going to be times where shots aren’t falling like the second quarter.”

21 total points were scored in the second quarter, as opposed to 40 combined points in the first.

“We rushed stuff. That’s on me,” head coach Denise Dillon said. “I should have called a timeout within two-and-a-half minutes of [the second] quarter. Sometimes with a group you want to see them play through things and learn, but now’s not the time, we’re too early in the season.”

The Wildcats were able to adjust effectively to the change in defensive style at the half. The shot-making returned in the third, as the ‘Cats would convert on four of their six attempts from beyond the arc.

Early in the third, junior guard Zanai Jones went down with an ankle injury after being fouled on a contested three. The injury prevented Jones from re-entering the game. Olsen stepped into a ball-handling role for the remainder of the game.

The fourth would tighten offensively again for the ‘Cats, as they scored 10 points in the period. 

Nine of Runyan’s 13 came in the second half. Runyan shot 3-7 from three for the game.

“Any game where I’m feeling it, especially from the outside, helps me get a little bit more confidence,” Runyan said. “I haven’t been shooting very well from the outside… and I finally got that one to fall and I was like ‘thank God.’And then from there I just kept letting it fly.”

Freshman guard Maddie Webber matched Runyan’s 13-point performance, seven of which came in the second half. 

“Anyone on any given day can be scoring in double figures,” Runyan said.

The ‘Cats will now look forward to their matchup with Wake Forest on Nov. 26. The Demon Deacons are 2-3 this season, with losses to Davidson, North Carolina A&T and BYU. The game is scheduled for a noon tip, and can be seen on the ACC Network.