Carlin Retires, Fetrow Named New Men’s Soccer Head Coach

The Wildcats went 1-8-7 in the 2023 season.

When the final whistle blew against the University of Illinois-Chicago on Oct. 30th, Tom Carlin walked off the pitch as Villanova’s head coach for what would be the final time.

Not many coaches are fortunate enough to hold the same position for nearly two decades, but Carlin did so, and did so to the highest standard.

On Nov. 16, just before 10 a.m., Villanova Athletics announced that after 16 seasons at the helm of Villanova men’s soccer, Carlin would retire. 

Carlin ends his career as arguably the greatest coach in program history. With 122 career wins, he is the program’s all-time leader in victories. He also led the team to its only NCAA tournament appearances in 2016 and 2021. In 2021, he guided Villanova to its first ever NCAA Tournament victory, a 1-0 win over Vermont.

Carlin will be replaced by Mark Fetrow, who joined Carlin’s staff in 2016. This past season, Fetrow took over the men’s soccer program at Drexel and led the Dragons to a 9-2-5 record. 

After just one season at Drexel, Fetrow finds himself back on the Main Line, ready to take over a program that is coming off an injury-plagued 1-8-7 season. 

“I am elated to be named the next Head Men’s Soccer coach at Villanova University,”  Fetrow said to Villanova Athletics. “I’m incredibly grateful to Mark Jackson, Father Peter, and the entire Villanova administration for their trust in me to lead the men’s soccer program.”

For Carlin, his involvement at Villanova was always more than just being the men’s soccer coach. A man of faith, he immersed himself in the community and supported other coaches and other teams. 

“I am sincerely grateful to have worked alongside such amazing people and be blessed with the opportunity to live out my faith at this amazing Catholic university,” Carlin said to Villanova Athletics. “It truly is the personal relationships with my fellow coaches, administrators, student-athletes and staff on campus that I will remember forever and miss the most. I look forward to spending more time with my wife Catara and our four beautiful girls, Lucy, Ciona, Tira and Ciara.”

In 2021, Carlin tied the program record for wins in a season with 12. Only the 1980 and 2012 squads have also reached the marker.

“Tom has been a wonderful steward of our men’s program for the last 16 years,” Villanova Vice President and Director of Athletics Mark Jackson said. “His program and student-athletes always represented our University with class. I want to personally thank Tom for his friendship and the incredible energy he poured into building Villanova Men’s Soccer. We are in a far better place today as a program than when Tom arrived, and he has been the driving force behind that progress.”

While Carlin’s coaching career comes to an end, a new era is underway. Fetrow will look to lead the team back to the heights of the Big East tournament and the NCAA College Cup in the coming years.