Volleyball Goes 0-2 On Senior Weekend

Brian Luppy/Villanovan Photography
Villanova has two matches left before the Big East Tournament.

This past weekend, Villanova’s volleyball team went 0-2 against DePaul and Marquette in its final home games of the regular season. 

In their match against DePaul on Friday, Nov. 10, the Wildcats had their annual Salute to Service match. On Saturday, Nov. 11, Villanova celebrated its seniors prior to its match against the Golden Eagles. The Wildcats are now seventh in the Big East, holding a 7-9 record. 

Against the Blue Demons, Villanova fell 1-4 (16-25, 25-23, 19-25, 19-25). The starters included middle blockers Madeline Barber and Kiera Booth; outside hitters Riley Homer, Abby Harrell and Skylar Gerhardt and libero Taryn Whittingham. After only winning the second set by a slim margin, Villanova failed to overcome DePaul’s seemingly continuous service aces. 

Harrell had 14 kills and 14 digs in the match, Booth contributed 13 kills across the four sets and senior Andrea Campos had 40 sets on the night. Whittingham contributed 23 digs for the ‘Cats, while Villanova had a team total of six blocks with Barber, Booth and Harrell all contributing two for the team. 

“We have seven kids,” head coach Josh Steinbach said regarding the senior players. “They have been fantastic volleyball players and just fun people to be around. I get emotional at each senior night and this one was no different.”

A day later at its home court again, Villanova was defeated by the Golden Eagles in four sets (25-19, 23-25, 17-25, 16-25). Winning the first set, the Wildcats failed to uphold their defense against Marquette as the match continued. The Golden Eagles increased their score margin from the third and fourth sets to win the match, to increase their conference record to 14-2 as they now sit at second in the Big East.

Campos had 37 assists to help the ‘Cats, along with three aces. Whittingham contributed 20 digs, Harrell added 14 kills and eight digs and Booth had 14 kills and nine digs. 

Looking ahead, Villanova will have one final week of the regular season as it takes on tenthProvidence in Rhode Island on Friday, Nov. 17 and eleventh UConn on Saturday,  Nov. 18. The Friars currently hold a 2-14 record, while the Huskies are last in the Big East. 

“It’s hard to win on the road but if we work hard, play hard and stay together, we’ll be in a position to win both games,” Steinbach said.