Men’s XC Second at Big East Championships, Women’s XC Third

Senior Liam Murphy placed first at the Big East Championships with a time of 24:46.33.

Both Villanova’s men’s and women’s cross country teams went on the road this weekend to Keno- sha, Wisconsin for the Big East Championships. Both teams had strong performances, with the men finishing second, and the women finishing third.

The men took part on an 8k course. It was a cool and windy day. As head coach Marcus O’Sullivan planned, this was the second time the team saw the course this season.

“It was cool in the low 50s, but nothing unmanageable,” O’Sullivan said. “The course was really good. It’s a hilly course and it’s a long course. I think it’s about eight and a half [kilometers], which is unusual. Other than that, the conditions were great.”

Senior Liam Murphy, who excelled all season, continued his elite consistency. He crossed the finish line first with a time of 24:46.33. His time earned him the men’s Big East individual title. The only person in his rearview was a ‘Cat, too, graduate Haftu Strintzos. Strintzos claimed second place at 24:57.94.

The men tallied 42 points, giving them a second place finish behind Butler’s 36. Murphy and Strintzos were the only two in the field to post times under than 25 minutes. One more Wildcat finished in the top 10: sophomore Marco Langon, who finished 10th with a 25:21.86 time. The trio of runners took home All-Big East first team honors for the second straight year.

The final two runners, senior Ryan Kredell (25:46.36) and junior Xian Shively (25:47.80) crossed the finish line in 15th and 17th place respectively, to earn All-Big East second team honors.

The men will now prepare for the NCAA Mid-Atlantic Regional on Nov. 10. The regional meet takes place at Lehigh. It will determine the automatic and at-large qualifiers for the NCAA Championships.

In the women’s race, juniors Sadie Sigfstead and Emma McGill led the ‘Cats throughout the 6k course. They finished fourth and fifth, individually.

Sigfstead this season has earned a plethora of personal bests. She set a school record in the three-mile this season. She broke her 6k personal best two weeks ago and came close to setting a new one with a 20:25.67 time.

Alongside her was McGill, with a 20:30.89 time. Both of them earned All-Big East honors. Emily Robinson clocked a 21:22.34, which was good for an 18th-place finish.

It also gave her All-Big East second-team honors. In her first ever Big East Championships, freshman Tilly O’Connor placed 26th in 21:41.27. Junior Margaret Carroll was behind O’Connor in 27th with a time of 21:44.21. Head coach Gina Procaccio sees a promising future for O’Connor.

“I think O’Connor had her best race so far, she ran her best time over 6k by about 25 seconds,” Procaccio said. “I think she is coming along at the right time. I am excited to see what she can do at the regional meet.”

Preparation will continue for the women as they stare down regionals in two weeks.

“I think we’re right on track for that,” Procaccio said. “I think it’s going to be like a battle of about three or four teams to try and grab that second spot to qualify for nationals, but I think we have just as good a shot as anyone at accomplishing that.”

The women and men will now prepare for the NCAA Mid-Atlantic Regional at Lehigh University on Nov. 10. It will de- termine the automatic and at-large qualifiers for the NCAA Championships.