Rowing Medals at Head of the Schuylkill Regatta

Villanova medaled for the first time since 2017 at the Head of the Schuylkill Regatta.

This past weekend, the women’s rowing team competed in the Head of the Schuylkill Regatta in Philadelphia and medaled for the first time since 2017.

“Our top varsity four did an amazing job,” head coach Carissa Adams said. “Coming in second and bringing home a medal is truly amazing.”

The top varsity four is comprised of senior Madison Girard, sophomore Maggie Coyne, junior Kira Capaldi, sophomore Sarah Robillard and graduate Kara Dempsey. They finished in 14:57.645.

“Our novice four also did a really great job,” Adams said. “With them all being new to the sport, it was truly impressive how they delivered.”

Freshman Lorelei Cadorette, freshman Natalia Brozyna, sophomore Emmi Stanton, freshman Mary Travy and sophomore Maeve Bonass completed in 16:38.117.

Villanova’s N4B team, composed of freshman Jessica Repetto, freshman Taylor Pansy, freshman Caitlyn Baker, freshman Jamison Dean and freshman Samantha Simpkins, came in 14th with a time of 18:20.997.

“We have done a great job so far this season,” Adams said. “I am excited to see where we go from here.”

In addition to the second place finish by Girard, Coyne, Capaldi, Robillard and Dempsey, the B-group of junior Gianna Zajac, senior Jadyn Ramos, senior Cecilia Jenkins, junior Isabella Thorne and senior Anna Flynn placed in the top 10 as well. They placed ninth, with a time of 15:19.041.

The Cats are gearing up for this weekend’s regatta, the NYRA Invitational and after this past weekend’s race, the team will be transforming into the new race format of 2000-meter races.

“We have only ever done a 2000-meter race in the fall once, and I think the team is excited to move into this format,” Adams said. “The team is really excited. It is hard to say how we will do in this event, but it will be a nice way to end the fall and get excited for winter training.”