Men’s Soccer Ties Army on Senior Day

Saunders+late+goal+proved+to+be+the+equalizer+on+Villanovas+Senior+Day.+
Saunders’ late goal proved to be the equalizer on Villanova’s Senior Day.

On Tuesday, Oct. 24th, Villanova men’s soccer tied Army 1-1, on home turf on its Senior Day.  

This tie gives the Wildcats an overall record of 1-7-6. With this being a non-conference game, their conference record remains at 1-4-2. Villanova is still tied for last in the Big East.

The Wildcats honored graduate students Kent Dickey, Gray Ricca, Marcus Brenes and Anthony Cousins, Jr., as well as seniors Jack Bonas, Dominic Cyriacks, Jorge Garcia, Branden Johns, Luke Pompliano, Akinjide Awujo and Michael Sheridan.  

West Point got the scoring started with a goal in the 23rd minute off a counter attack. 

While Army maintained the lead for most of the game, Villanova had multiple opportunities to equalize. The Wildcats had 29 shots with 13 on goal, compared to Army’s 15 shots and seven shots on goal. 

After countless chances, the Wildcats tied the score with just five minutes remaining in the match off a goal by junior forward Balthi Saunders. 

Freshman midfielder Diego Valles crossed to Saunders just outside the 18-yard box where he scored off a one-touch shot with his left foot. 

“Balthi is our attacking specialist,” head coach Tom Carlin said. “So we injected him into the game hoping he would do that. Being able to get fresh legs out there and somebody that can handle a moment like that was the idea.” 

On the defensive side, senior goalkeeper Michael Sheridan had a last minute save in the second half, as well as six other key saves throughout the match that kept the ‘Cats in the game. Sheridan, a transfer from DIII St. Joseph’s College, made just his second Villanova appearance. 

Looking ahead, the Wildcats’ next match is on Saturday, Oct. 28th against Big East opponent DePaul. The Wildcats currently hold the same conference record as the Blue Demons.