Villanova Fall Bucket List: Live Out Your Fall Fantasy

One+of+the+best+ways+to+celebrate+fall+at+Villanova+is+taking+a+walk+through+the+fall+foliage.+
Chloe Miller
One of the best ways to celebrate fall at Villanova is taking a walk through the fall foliage.

Have you been anticipating the arrival of the fall season, cozy and picturesque in its pumpkin-flavored everything, its fresh gales of October wind and the unleashing of the flannels? Have you been wondering just how to achieve the aesthetic, Gilmore Girls-esque fall of your dreams? Wonder no further, Wildcats. Below, you’ll find the bucket list sure to check off every box to help you take advantage of the glories of everyone’s favorite season.

Apple Picking: Predictable? I prefer classic. This beloved activity is one that a fulfilling fall simply can’t exist without. Whether you tag along with the Outdoor Club or CAT or take a weekend trip with your friends, be sure to take lots of photos in your fall ‘fits, test out the apple cider and donuts and, of course, bring back a boatload of apples that’ll probably end up dominating your minifridge. Some fall-tastic nearby apple orchards are Linvilla Orchards and Indian Orchards Farm.

Take a Trip to Philly: If you’re looking to venture out of the confines of Villanova’s campus and see what the neighboring city has to offer, this option is perfect for you. Boasting fall festivals, farmers markets, shopping to your heart’s desire and much more, Philadelphia is perfect for a fall trip if you’re able to block out a good portion of your day. Hop on the SEPTA and don’t forget those jackets and scarves, but make sure to stick with your friends.

Watch a Fall Movie: Turn on those fairy lights, break out the popcorn and fuzzy blankets and immerse yourself into those long-awaited fall vibes with your favorite fall-themed movie. Whether it’s Halloween-related or not, feel free to rewatch a classic or try out something you’ve never seen. Harry Potter, Little Women and Hocus Pocus never fail to satisfy that fall movie fix, but there are countless others that’ll get the job done just as well. Of course, there’s no need to limit yourself to just one movie.

Dress Up for Halloween: This one goes without saying. Whether you’re a massive party person or prefer to spend your evenings burrowed under your blankets with the company of good ol’ Netflix, it’s a rite of passage to participate in the annual college “Halloweekend.” Put weeks of planning, shopping and DIY-ing into an elaborate costume sure to wow your fellow students, or simply throw on a mask or paint on some makeup and you’re good to go. Plus, CAT always has fun, spooky-themed activities in the weeks leading up that are sure to get you in the Halloween spirit.

Go Shopping: You can’t have fall (or any season) without shopping for the essentials: clothing and decorations, of course. Splurge on a new flannel or pair of mini UGGs if you feel like treating yourself (and if your bank account permits), but window shopping is just as great a way to “shop” on a budget. Plus, it’ll allow you to venture off campus for a few hours and explore a new area. Downtown Bryn Mawr, Suburban Square and King of Prussia are popular among Villanovans, as is Philadelphia. 

Indulge in a Fall Treat: Now, baking something may be a struggle for us freshmen with only a minifridge and microwave. But for upperclassmen with kitchens, making a fall-themed treat like cinnamon rolls, apple crisp or those beloved Pillsbury pumpkin cookies is the way to go. If you don’t have the resources to do so, never fear: Holy Grounds and the nearby Starbucks are just as good ways to satisfy that fall craving. Grab a muffin or pumpkin spice latte and you’ll immediately be transported to a charming, small fall town like Stars Hollow.

Take Advantage of the Fall Atmosphere: With midterms behind us and Thanksgiving tantalizingly ahead, it’s time to take advantage of these breathtakingly beautiful days. After all, they only last for a few brief weeks before it is back to icy breath and muggy air. Go for a walk around campus or the nearby residential areas, soaking in the beautiful fall foliage and welcoming the chilly breeze. Romanticize it by listening to your autumn playlist or bringing along a friend for some company. Also, make use of the picnic tables around campus, as it’ll soon be too cold to do your homework or spend time outdoors. A popular activity, especially among freshmen, is to have a picnic at golden hour just outside of the church, taking picture-perfect photos to look back on fondly. 

Whether you accomplish every single one of these activities or none at all, it’s undeniable that fall at Villanova is something special and beautiful. Make the most of the autumnal opportunities both on and outside of campus and savor this treasured time of year, because it’ll be over before we know it.