Golf Wins Matthews Auto Collegiate

Villanova won the Matthews Auto Collegiate with a team score of 571.

Villanova’s men’s golf team won first place in the Mathews Auto Collegiate Invitational at The Links at Hiawatha Landing in Apalachin, N.Y. on Monday.

The 14-team, two-day event saw the top-four teams fall within just four strokes of each other. Villanova finished in first with 571. St. Bonaventure, and host Binghamton tied for second at 573, while Lehigh finished fourth, at 575.

Villanova climbed back after finishing third on day one with a score of 287, falling just three strokes behind Monmouth at 284 and four behind Lehigh at 283, which led after Sunday. It finished three strokes ahead of the fourth place tie of Le Moyne and Binghamton, both at 290.

Senior Peter Weaver isn’t slowing down after being named to the All Big-East team in 2022- 23. He shot a 68 on Sunday, tying for second in the first round and placing second overall individually. He shot an overall score of 7-under. The upperclassman has been consistently excellent for the Wildcats, placing in the top-10 of every event this year.

Sophomore Ryan Pamer shot 70 in the first, two strokes behind Weaver, and was tied for seventh after Sunday. He repeated his score of 70 in the second round to finish at 4-under and eighth over- all on the leaderboard. He beat his average of 72.53 in 2022-23, a year in which he made All-Big East second team as a freshman.

Junior Vimal Alokam was another highlight for the Wildcats, shooting an even 72 in both rounds to finish 13th overall. His even score is so far a large improvement from his sophomore season, which saw an average stroke score of 76.97.

Senior Jonathan Elkins was also solid. After struggling to finish three over at 75 after the first round, he came up to finish three strokes better at 72 in the second round to tie for 26th.

The Wildcats will look to keep the momentum going at the Bucknell Fall Invitational in Lewisburg, Pa. on Oct. 8. Weaver will look to continue his individual success, and lead the team to another top-flight finish.