Football Prepares for North Carolina A&T

Brian Luppy/Villanovan Photography
The Wildcats are now 1-1 in conference play.

After a 31-10 loss to Albany last weekend, Villanova’s football team (3-2, 1-1 CAA) will look to earn its fourth win of the season on Saturday, Oct. 7 as it takes on North Carolina A&T (1-3, 0-1 CAA) in Greensboro.  

The Wildcats dropped out of both the FCS Coaches Poll and the Stats Perform Poll after their loss to the Great Danes.

Villanova has looked good in some games, namely in its 35-9 upset of then-No. 17 Rhode Island to start conference play. However, the Wildcats did not look like an FCS playoff team in their loss to Albany.

When Villanova is successful, it is largely due to the Wildcats’ talented offense. The offense is averaging 27.8 points per game. 

The Wildcats have established an impressive running and passing game, averaging 193.8 passing yards and 175.6 rushing yards per game. 

The Wildcats have three veteran presences in the backfield, graduate running back DeeWil Barlee, graduate running back Jalen Jackson, and graduate running back TD Ayo-Durojaiye. All three have over 200 rushing yards with Barlee leading the room with 309. Barlee and Jackson both have three rushing touchdowns while Ayo-Durojaiye has two. 

The Wildcats’ most effective scoring threat is graduate quarterback Connor Watkins, who has six rushing touchdowns on the season. He also has five passing touchdowns for the Wildcats.

North Carolina A&T’s offense has struggled in its first year in the CAA. The Aggies are averaging just 13.3 points per game to go with only 61.8 passing yards per game. 

Their offensive struggles have largely been pinned on their passing game, as they have proven to be just as capable as the Wildcats in the running game. The Aggies average 164.8 rushing yards per game. On the defensive side, North Carolina A&T has given up 29.5 points per game compared to Villanova’s 23.4. 

The game should provide an opportunity for the Wildcats to find their footing after an early slip in conference play. If statistics prove true, Villanova’s offense should be able to put up plenty of points. The defense should get some useful experience to build on its weaknesses.

Villanova’s weakness this season has been defending the passing game. The Wildcats have allowed 245.8 passing yards per game, with the outlier on the season being the 349 given up to Central Florida. With passing offense being a weaker part of the Aggies game, the Wildcats should look to capitalize. 

The game should prove to be a fairly comfortable contest for the Wildcats. The game is scheduled for a 4 p.m. start and will be broadcast on Flo Football.