Former University Friar Becomes Cardinal in Rome

+Villanova%E2%80%99s+Friars+in+Rome+with+an+alum+who+was+made+a+Cardinal.%0A
Courtesy of Villanova University
Villanova’s Friars in Rome with an alum who was made a Cardinal.

On Saturday, Sept. 30, Archbishop Robert Francis Prevost, O.S.A.became a Cardinal at St. Peter’s Square in Rome, Italy.

Augustinian brother Prevost received a “red hat” from Pope Francis himself on Saturday. Pope Francis had chosen Prevost, along with 20 other men, to become Cardinals. There are 221 Cardinals within the Catholic church, and their role is to aid in the government of the Roman Catholic church throughout the world, act as the Pope’s principal counselor and assist in the election of the Pope. 

University President, Rev. Peter Donohue, O.S.A. Ph. D., Fr. Bernie Scianna, O.S.A. Ph. D. and Fr. Kevin M. DePrinzo, O.S.A. Ph. D., headed to Rome to witness this monumental event. Scianna was thrilled with the news and suspected Prevost’s trajectory could lead to an even higher position.

Scianna commented on the beautiful weather in Italy when they arrived. With the sun shining, it was the perfect day for Prevost to become a Cardinal.

“[Prevost] will be the first Cardinal from the United States Augustinians and the first Villanova graduate,” Scianna said. “This is a major historic moment for us. There are only about 135 Cardinals of voting age who will elect the next Pope. Cardinal Prevost will be one of them, and he could be elected the first Augustinian and American Pope. Pope Francis is a Jesuit so it is not too far-fetched to think that this could happen.”

Originally from Chicago, Prevost is a Villanova graduate from the Class of 1977. He studied for his doctorate in Rome. He spent many years in the missions in Peru and was elected the Prior Provincial of the Chicago Province. He then was promoted to the Prior General of the Augustinian Order, which was founded in 1244, where he once again returned to Rome. 

Pope Francis named him Bishop in Chiclayo, Peru, and after about seven to eight years asked him to move back to Rome to lead the Dicastery for Bishops.

“The Dicastery basically means that his group will be the one that will recommend all bishops from around the world to Pope Francis,” Scianna said. “For the first time in history, there are two women serving on that commission.”

With Prevost’s numerous accolades it is not surprising he was chosen for this next step in the Roman Catholic church. The Villanovan asked freshman Mike Whaley how he felt about being on campus during this monumental moment not only in the church, but for the Villanova community. 

“This is a really great thing for the community,” Whaley said. “Having an alum who has dedicated his life to faith, and who has become the first Augustinian Cardinal, is a living representation of our University’s mission in a really positive way.”

Prevost has also seemed to inspire Whaley to live his life remembering the core values of Villanova.

“I also think this is a nice call to service,” he said. “It is a reminder to our community of what is possible when we live out the values of veritas, unitas and caritas.”

With this historic moment in the Roman Catholic church and in Villanova history, Prevost can continue to be an inspiration to all that anything can happen. 

With the eyes of Rome and Fr. Peter on him, Archbishop Francis officially became a Cardinal, making the University proud.