Students Should Register to Vote

Each September, the United States observes National Voter Registration Day. This event is a non-partisan civic holiday where volunteers, organizations and celebrities encourage eligible citizens to check their registration status and sign up to vote. 

The event has grown tremendously since its initial observation in 2012, garnering responses from nearly five million Americans to date via the organization’s website. The holiday was founded to address the rising issue of nationwide voter apathy, particularly among the 18-to-24-year age group. 

According to Census data, only 61% of eligible voters cast a ballot in the last presidential election. With confusing application requirements (particularly on a state-by-state basis), a lack of awareness and growing media bias, most Americans simply don’t care about participating in politics. 

National Voter Registration Day creates awareness about these issues, promoting easy-to-use resources that simplify the voting process. Voting is a crucial part of one’s civic duty as an American citizen. Our generation’s needs are painfully low on the legislation docket, rendering it nearly impossible to introduce fresh opinions and values. 

Politicians recognize that their constituents primarily consist of Baby Boomers, thus catering to their needs above that of Gen Z in order to be elected.Many celebrities have resonated with the message of the holiday, utilizing their expansive social media presence to encourage younger fans to support the cause. 

Taylor Swift is perhaps the most influential of such figures, generating responses from 35,000 Americans after posting on her Instagram story. While not directly affiliated with Voter Registration Day, Olivia Rodrigo, Cardi B, Kim Kardashian and countless other celebrities have promoted similar messages.

“[Taylor Swift] definitely knows her audience,” freshman Lily Lincoln said. “It’s no secret that there’s an enormous discrepancy between the political activity of Gen Z compared with older generations, and I think [Swift] knows that her fanbase is a key demographic to help bridge that gap.”

Villanova’s campus has an active political culture, particularly surrounding high-profile elections. Many students voted in the 2022 Midterm elections, and far more plan to vote on the 2024 presidential ballot. 

The University promotes its “#LetsVoteNova” initiative through newsletters, information sessions and FAQs detailed in the “Student Life” section of the university website.

“It’s a domino effect,” freshman Alivia Alexander said. “I registered to vote with the help of someone tabling near [South Campus] and convinced a lot of my peers to do the same. Spreading the word makes all the difference.”

While all Americans should be invested in politics, it should be of utmost importance for college students because they have the means to make tangible change. Well-established adults often become set in their ways, resulting in the stagnation of policy and beliefs. 

Contrastingly, many high school students are too young to vote, making it difficult for them to be taken seriously or enact change. College students are in a golden age between these two groups, wherein they possess similar ideals to younger groups but the political clout to act on them.

While National Voter Registration Day may have passed, it’s incredibly important to be politically active all year-round. Eligible Villanova students have three key ways to vote.

The first is through the use of mail-in ballots, which can be sent to either a home address or one of the campus’ three mail service buildings. These ballots are a good option for students who don’t want to deal with the hassle of lines or travel, but they do require preparation in advance. 

The application for mail-in ballots must be received by the county election board by October 31 at 5 p.m., and ballots themselves must be received by 8 p.m. on Nov. 7. 

The second way to vote is students simply traveling to their home state and following local procedures. While this is a logistical possibility for students who live close to or in Pennsylvania, it simply isn’t feasible for much of the student body.

The third way to vote is to vote in Pennsylvania using an on-campus address. Villanova is divided into four voting districts based on residence halls, and students must update their registration to enroll in their respective locations by Oct. 23. This can be done online or by submitting a mailed registration form. This process can be confusing, often deterring students from voting altogether. However, it provides a way for students to vote without leaving the state. 

Whichever method you choose, be sure to register and stay politically informed in order to make your voice heard. Check either the Villanova website or PA.gov for more information on how to vote and how to register to vote.