Women’s Soccer Remains Unbeaten

Ryan Sarbello/Villanovan Photography
Women’s soccer has yet to lose a match this season.

Villanova’s women’s soccer team played two matches against Ivy League teams this week, both of which ended in 1-1 ties.

Villanova started its weekend Thursday, Sept. 14, at Penn.

After a slow start, the first shot on goal of the match was by Penn senior forward Paige Kenton a little over 12 minutes into the first half. Villanova took its first scoring attempt nearly ten minutes later in the 21st minute with junior midfielder Maddie Fried taking a try. A second shot on goal came for the Wildcats only two minutes later with an unsuccessful attempt by graduate forward Jackie Richards. A quiet first half ended at 0-0.

After a slew of fouls followed by substitutions for both the Wildcats and the Quakers in the first two-and-a-half minutes, Villanova freshman forward Alex Little took the first shot on goal for the half followed by a corner kick. It wasn’t until after a corner kick in the 81st minute that the Wildcats found the back of the net for the game’s opening goal. Richards found the goal, assisted by junior forward Megan Donnelly.

The Quakers were not far behind with their first goal coming in from the foot of freshman forward Abbey Cook in the 82nd minute. Both teams fought hard down to the wire, with one last shot on goal by junior forward Megan Lusher for Penn in the 87th minute, the match ended in a 1-1 draw.

Although the Wildcats did not come away with a win, head coach Samar Azem said that the match carried forward to their match against Cornell.

“Thursday helped [the team] play better [on Sunday],” Azem said.

A rainy afternoon at Higgins Soccer Complex saw the Wildcats go head to head with Cornell. An early shot on goal by Richards fueled the energy for the Wildcats for the remainder of the game.

With a total of 13 shots on goal and four saves, the team’s chemistry and drive was evident.

“[I] thought [they] put [Cornell] on their back foot for the majority of the game,” Azem said. “[Cornell] had two chances that were a little bit concerning but besides that I felt like we were just really unlucky not to get two or three goals.”

Both teams walked away having each scored one goal. Senior forward Mia Gonzalez scored for the Big Red and freshman defender Ire Omotayo assisted graduate forward Makayla Stadler in Villanova’s lone goal.

After another game ending in a draw, with both goals scored in the first half, the Wildcats are planning for the start of their conference play beginning next week.

“[We] really use non-con- ference to build our identity,” Azem said. “Now every single team we see is going to be a significantly tough opponent for us to play.”

The Wildcats will kick off their Big East run hosting Seton Hall on Sunday, Sept. 24th at 4 p.m.