Men’s Soccer Draws Western Michigan to Remain Winless in 2023

The+Wildcats+are+now+0-3-3+on+the+season.+
Katelyn Van Mater/Villanovan Photography
The Wildcats are now 0-3-3 on the season.

On Tuesday afternoon, Villanova men’s soccer team recorded its third draw of the season, tying Western Michigan, 2-2. This brings the Wildcats’ record to 0-3-3.

Villanova opened scoring early with a goal from junior striker Balthi Saunders in the 17th minute. With that goal, Saunders now leads the team in scoring with two goals this season. Overall, Villanova has scored five times this season, with three of those goals coming from open play.

However, Saunders’ “night, night” celebration was short-lived. Two minutes after the ‘Cats got on the board, Western Michigan equalized off a defensive collapse.  

Despite losing their lead, the Wildcats displayed high intensity and strong communication.

From the trash talk between graduate defender AJ Cousins and opponents, graduate center back Gray Ricca yelling what he sees up field, and Saunders demanding the ball, the Wildcats’ communication has been one of their most impressive traits this season. 

For head coach Tom Carlin, communication and encouragement is key, and Ricca in particular has been one of the players who has shined from a leadership standpoint.

“Jack [Bonas] is our anchor back there, and when he went down, Gray had to step up,” Carlin said “He’s invaluable. Just his calmness on the ball and presence back there often goes unnoticed but it makes all the difference.”

This season, the Wildcats have been missing one of their key players, senior Akinjide Awujo. Last season, Awujo was a crucial player for Carlin. Not only was he able to generate opportunities in the final third, but he was also known for setting up teammates like Saunders on the attack.

“Jide and Luke Pompliano were both guys in front of the net that we had pegged to be there,” Carlin said. “The next man up mentality is huge. I think we’re getting the looks and getting to the spots but today I don’t think we had as many as we had in the past two games but it’s just a matter of watching the tape and learning from it.”

With the absence of Awujo, freshman Belmar Joseph has gotten a chance to make a name for himself on the roster. Joseph got his first start against Butler and put on another strong showing against Western Michigan.

“We saw early on that we had to find a way for him in our scheme,” Carlin said. “He wasn’t initially in the lineup, and we saw early on that he brought a lot of intangibles that we needed. His length, his ability to be a two-way guy, being able to run behind but also defend. He is invaluable and has become our key piece.”

Following a first half with strong communication, the Wildcats entered the second half hungry to find the back of the net again. 

However, Western Michigan took the lead in the 52nd minute on a shot just out of senior keeper Michael Sheridan’s reach. 

The Wildcats continued to generate chances, finally tying the game in the 74th minute when Vincent Petrera headed in a goal off a set piece. The teams were even in the final 15 minutes, sending both away with a draw.

Villanova will now look ahead to Saturday, Sept. 23, as they take on Providence away in Rhode Island. This is the ‘Cats’ second Big East game of the season, following a 2-1 loss to Butler. Kick off is scheduled for 7 p.m.