Women’s Soccer Brings Record to 3-0-3

Women’s soccer is fourth in the Big East prior to conference play starting. Courtesy of Sideline Photos via Villanova Athletics

On Sunday Sept. 10th, Villanova’s women’s soccer team tied West Virginia, 0-0, in its sixth game of the 2022-23 season. The draw brings the Wildcats to a 3-0-3 record, placing them fourth in the Big East, though conference play has yet to begin.

The tie was an impressive one for Villanova as the Mountaineers are a Power Five team in the Big 12. West Virginia also advanced to the second round of the NCAA College Cup in 2022. The last time the Wildcats drew with a Power Five team was in 2012, against then No. 13 Maryland.

Both teams managed only one shot on goal for each team. The ‘Cats only had two shots total, compared to West Virginia’s eight. Graduate forward Rylee Donaldson and graduate midfielder Alex Fava had the only shots of the day for Villanova, with Donaldson putting the lone shot on goal. Graduate goalkeeper Payton Woodward saved West Virginia’s only shot on goal, as well.

“We know our team is very humble, and we’re taking it a game at a time,” head coach Samar Azem said when asked about the ‘Cats strong start to the year. “It really is the players, they’re so invested in each step of the way. Every opportunity they see is an opportunity to grow.”

The game showed off the ‘Cats’ defensive prowess, as the backline successfully defended eight corners. The team takes pride in its defense, and it’s something that Azem has been prioritizing over her last few seasons as head coach.

“We really defined our defensive identity last year,” Azem said. “Although it’s a new team this year with new players coming in, the program’s values and defense is consistent. We’re a top program defensively in the Big East and we’re ranked 14th in the country in goals against.”

While Villanova’s defense has been crucial to its success, its offense has done its job, as well. The ‘Cats scored in each of their first five games, with three of those games featuring three goals.

This was the first time in the 2023 season that Villanova didn’t score, but the squad remains undefeated nonetheless. Looking back to 2022, the ‘Cats picked up the last three games of the season, making the undefeated streak nine games across seasons.

The win streak to start the year has been an overall team effort from the ‘Cats, something that Azem has taken notice of.

“We have a number of individuals who have done phenomenal,” Azem said. “But we talk a lot about how the success of the team is the strength of the team.”

The ‘Cats’ next game is on the road against Penn on Thursday, Sept. 14, followed by a home game Sunday, Sept.17 against Cornell.