Maddy Siegrist Declares For 2023 WNBA Draft

Maddy+Siegrist+will+enter+the+2023+WBNA+Draft.+

Graydon Paul/Villanovan Photography

Maddy Siegrist will enter the 2023 WBNA Draft.

Brooke Ackerman, Co-Sports Editor

Villanova has a reputation in the basketball world, but that reputation does not just come from what players do during their time as Wildcats — it’s what they do after their time at Villanova. 

While NBA players such as Josh Hart, Kyle Lowry, and Jalen Brunson, are regarded as Villanova legends, there’s one female name that has Villanovans, and the entire basketball world, talking right now: Maddy Siegrist. 

On Monday, March 27, Siegrist announced that she will not be using her COVID year of eligibility, and will instead enter the 2023 WNBA Draft. 

“I couldn’t be more grateful for the opportunity to have been a Villanova Wildcat,” Siegrist said. “My college basketball career was everything that I dreamed of and more.”

While this decision will officially conclude Siegrist’s time as a Wildcat, her impact on the program, and entire university, is inimitable. 

During her time at Villanova, Siegrist played in 119 games, scored 2,896 career points, and recorded 1,102 rebounds. 

This season, she led Villanova to a 30-7 overall record, the Big East championship game, and two NCAA Division I Tournament wins, which secured the team a spot in the Sweet 16. 

She also led the country in scoring at 29.2 points per game, breaking records by scoring 20 or more points in all 37 games this season, including 17 games of 30 or more points. 

With these stats, Siegrist became the all-time leading scorer in the history of Villanova basketball, and the all-time leading scorer in Big East conference history for regular season conference games.

Siegrist was also named the Big East Player of the Year for the second consecutive year this season. She was also recognized nationally, earning first team All-American honors from the Associated Press and USBWA. 

For her efforts this season, Siegrist is currently one of four finalists for both the Naismith Player of the Year and the Wade Trophy.  

But while her stats are impressive, Siegrist will leave a much larger impact on both Villanova basketball, and the entire university. 

“The statistical numbers that she recorded are going to be there forever which is so special when you see what Maddy accomplished throughout her amazing career,”  head coach Denise Dillon said. “With that said, when you leave your mark on people as Maddy has there is nothing greater. I think that is by far the greatest accomplishment as a student-athlete where you can be recognized as being an authentic person as opposed to just a great athlete.” 

While the accolades Siegrist earned are impressive, even her teammates looked past it, caring far more about her character than the stat sheet. 

“Sometimes I forget that one of my friends is like an All-American,” teammate and junior guard Bella Runyan said after Villanova’s Sweet 16 loss. “I’m just so honored I’ve been able to play on the same team as her, learn from her. She’s just been [an] amazing role model, not just as a player, as a person off the court.” 

While her decision to enter the 2023 draft will mean hanging up her ‘Nova uniform for the last time, Siegrist is the epitome of once a Wildcat, always a Wildcat. 

“I can’t thank Villanova enough for welcoming me into the greatest community on Earth,” Siegrist said. “From the first day I stepped on campus, I knew this would be my forever home.”

The WNBA draft is scheduled for Monday, April 10, in New York, where Siegrist will embark on the next part of her journey. The legacy she leaves behind at Villanova will have a lasting mark on Villanovans for generations to come.