Communication Department to Host TV Journalism Panel

Colin Beazley, Co-Editor in Chief

It is not often that reporters from three rival television stations are found in the same room, but, on Thursday, February 23, this rare occurrence will take place on Villanova’s campus.

The Communication Department is hosting a panel discussion on TV Journalism, featuring four Philadelphia reporters. The panel will take place in the Garey Cafe (Garey 10A) from 4:30 p.m. until 6:00 p.m. Students will hear from Fox 29’s Alex Holley, 6ABC Action News’ Corey Davis and CBS News Philadelphia’s Jessica Kartalija and Pat Gallen.

The panel will be moderated by Michael Bradley, an assistant instructor in the Communication Department. He is also the Department’s Journalism Coordinator. Bradley hosted a “Women in Journalism” panel last year, and he expects this year’s event has a similar impact.

“I’m hoping it continues to expose the journalism field to other students but also within the Communication Department,” Bradley said. “I hope it lets some students learn a little bit more about the journalism concentration so that they can see that we’re growing within the department and that there are a lot [of] opportunities out there for them if they’re interested in doing it beyond Villanova.”

During the panel discussion, Bradley will ask the reporters about their experiences in the field of television journalism and about the future of the industry. After the discussion, students will be able to ask questions to the assembled reporters.

The four reporters all hold different positions at their respective stations.

Holley is a host on Fox 29’s “Good Day Philadelphia,” which takes place in the morning, from 6:00 am to 10:00 a.m. She has co-hosted the show since 2014 and has more than 438,000 combined followers on her Twitter, Instagram and TikTok. Holley is a member of the National Association of Black Journalists.

Davis is a reporter on 6ABC Action News. He has been in Philadelphia since 2019 after spending several years in Florida, where he covered many national disasters, including Hurricane Michael. For two years, Davis was his own team, writing, shooting and editing his own stories. Davis is also a member of the National Association of Black Journalists.

Kartalija is an anchor on CBS News Philadelphia’s evening news. She has over 20 years of television news experience, including 12 years as a news anchor for CBS Baltimore. Kartalija will be teaching a Social Media class at Villanova in the fall.

Gallen is a sports anchor and reporter for CBS News Philadelphia. He is a Philadelphia native and has worked for CBS News Philadelphia since 2016. He recently returned from covering the Super Bowl in Arizona, and he also covered the Phillies’ run to the World Series this year.

Students will be able to learn from some of Philadelphia’s most accomplished broadcast journalists, and Bradley hopes students will take the opportunity, even if the reporters all work for rival stations.

“[It’s] definitely gonna be an Anchorman situation where there’s going to be a war between all of them,” Bradley joked. 

“I just want to get students to come and participate in it, watch and learn,” he said. “This is a great chance for them to learn about what they’re studying. You can talk theory all you want, but this is practice. This is a chance for the students to say, ‘if I want to do this, this is what I have to do.’”