Students Participate in First Elections

Many freshmen voted for the first time in the 2022 Midterm Election.

Lauren Armstrong, Staff Writer

It is that time of year again when we see Instagram Ads, Tweets and even TikToks of candidates running for office, trying to pull young voters to their side of the competition by being “relatable” through their use of social media. This year, in heated races for governor and a senate seat here in Pennsylvania, it is more crucial than ever for young voters to go out and cast their ballot. “Go vote like your rights depend on it” was written in chalk outside the John and Joan Mullen Center for the Performing Arts on the morning of election day, as this election involves topics very important to many Villanovan student. The University made numerous efforts to ensure all students who are registered in Pennsylvania made it to the voting polls. By having shuttles running from 9:00a.m.-7:30p.m. from the Connelly Center to each voting location that on-campus students may be sent to, the University is helps young and new voters feel more secure about getting to and from the polls. 

Student organizations such as Let’s Vote Nova, also educated new voters about the voting process as well as assisted students with their voter registration. The efforts of Let’s Vote Nova helped students like as Freshman Alexander Zeppos vote in their first election. 

“Now more than ever, it is crucial for our generation to get out there to vote in order to preserve our nation’s democracy,” Zeppos said. “Thanks to Let’s Vote Nova, I was able to register to be able to cast my first ballot in my home state of Pennsylvania. As I vote for my first time this election, I know that my voice is heard and my options are represented thanks to the hard work of the dedicated students here at Villanova.” 

Voting in any election is important, but when the predictions are so tight to the point that the projected winners flip from day to day, it is even more vital to get out to the polls. 

Freshman Rowan Nolen commented on their voting experience.  

“Villanova made it super easy to vote,” Nolen said. “I was worried about how I would find the time to register, but Villanova provided many resources that enabled me to register quickly. They also provided transportation to the polling stations which was really nice, especially for those who don’t have a car on campus.” 

Transportation is key, as Villanova is split into a multitude of voting districts. It can often be difficult for new voters to know where their voting location is. 

“Having the shuttles and vans is super helpful for us students that can not drive, or do not have a car on campus. Overall Villanova has been super helpful today on election day” Maria Saltysiak, Class of 2026 said. 

Outside the Connelly Center, Let’s Vote Nova had signs with QR codes to inform voters on where their polling location is based on their residence hall. Freshman Ryan Levey believes this is a good thing. 

“I didn’t realize before today that voting locations were different based on where you live on campus, for example my voting location was different than a friend in the dorm building right next to mine,” Levey said. “Let’s Vote Nova did a great job explaining where I needed to go to vote, as well as making sure I got there safely.” 

Overall, many first time voters had a smooth experience voting on Election Day. Thanks to the efforts of Let’s Vote Nova, students were able to vote easily and enjoy their first experiences voting.