Day of Service Cancelled Due to Severe Weather

Lauren Armstrong, Staff Writer

Villanova’s Day of Service is one of the most anticipated days of the year. Started in 2006, Day of Service has successfully joined together through clubs, orientation groups, athletics and more to give back to the Villanova and greater community through a multitude of different acts of service. That is, until this year. Oct. 1 was meant to be the 17th annual Day of Service, and for the first time in Villanova history, it was canceled due to weather concerns. 

Students registered for the event received an email on Friday, Sept. 30,

from the Day of Service Committee Director, Katie Farrell, stating “[we have to come to] our decision to cancel the Day of Service due to the impending severe weather,” and urged students and group leaders to find a new time in which they can volunteer and come together to serve the community. 

This decision was far from easy, and students and staff alike are saddened by this

news.

“[I]t was unfortunate to hear that the weather canceled the Day of Service, as it is such an impactful day on not only the communities we serve, but the Villanovans that choose to serve,” sophomore Katie Tubersosa said. “However, I believe that the Villanova community will find new ways to continue their commitment to service throughout the rest of the semester.”

While this year’s Day of Service unfortunately will be missed, it is without a

doubt that the Villanova community will jump right back in full force next year and in years to

come.