Students Tackle Midterm Exams Before Spring Break

Kathryn Fair, Staff Writer

Spring break offers solace from classes. It’s a way for students to reset, relax and have fun with family or friends. However, before spring break comes the inevitable stressful midterm period. While the weeks leading up to spring break make the days away from school feel more rewarding, a heavy midterm week can often feel overwhelming. 

Last school year, there was neither a fall nor spring break following the midterm season, which left students feeling extremely drained and run-down halfway through the semester. Students are glad to have their week-long breaks back again so that they can come back prepared for the remainder of the spring. 

Following COVID-19, many professors have started to hold midterm exams throughout the weeks leading up to “midterm week” to give students a reprieve from taking several consecutive exams within five days.

Junior Matt Culligan feels he got lucky during midterm season this semester.

“My classes run on their own exam schedules, and none of them lined up with the week before spring break,” Culligan said. “I have had exams each of the last few weeks, but midterm week itself isn’t looking too bad.” 

While Culligan is glad he doesn’t feel too stressed before break, he isn’t very excited to study throughout the week for his exams at the beginning of March.

Similarly, Carlie Brady discussed that she has had one exam each week for the last two weeks and has two exams during the week of midterms. This distribution of midterms makes the week before spring break feel easier for her. However, she said that she has “been exhausted for three weeks instead of just having one difficult week.” 

Senior Abby Haley has enjoyed her spread out exams this semester and has felt a change from previous years. 

“Midterms are always super stressful, but a lot of my professors have been more open about midterms throughout the semester instead of only the week before break, which has been really helpful,” Haley said. “It’s still a very transitional period of still trying to get used to full-time in-person school, which I think is especially hard when trying to relearn old study methods.”

Haley has a mix of papers and tests, “which is a nice way to balance and ease into effective studying.”

Consistently studying for five separate exams can consume students, and professors often gauge their classes to understand how they can better alter the format of their midterm assessments.

In terms of studying for midterms, Brady is a Finance major, so most of her exams are math-based. She says the best way that she studies is “redoing practice problems, making my own problems and taking notes on class PowerPoints and textbook pages.” Most students have found that this style of study works well for them as well. Brady also discussed her History midterm next week, which entails “thoroughly understanding details from each chapter and class discussions, which is hefty work as well.”

Although many exams are spread out, many students will still be experiencing the traditional midterm week schedule of several consecutive assessments. Junior Elena Klatt feels overwhelmed going into the week before break. 

“Starting Tuesday, I have a presentation and three exams, two of them falling on the same day back to back,” Klatt said. “I am also juggling other assignments and papers that are due throughout the week, which makes it hard to split my time to avoid cramming before any exams.” 

Klatt is looking forward to break because she knows she will be drained after this week.

While midterm exams can feel overwhelming and extremely stressful, students feel thankful to have their week-long breaks back to decompress. During this time of the semester, it is important to remember to seek peer tutors, take time for relaxation and enjoy spending time with roommates and friends before a week away from school. Best of luck, Wildcats.