Administrator bids farewell

Lindsay Shoff

Dr. Christine Lysionek, director of Residence Life and employee of the University for 20 years, will be leaving the University to assume the role of vice president of Student Development at Cabrini College at the end of the spring semester.

She will be replaced by current Assistant Dean of Students Tom DeMarco.

It is still unclear who will take DeMarco’s place as assistant dean of Students.

Lysionek, who was offered the job in early February, is excited about the new opportunity not only because of the promotion, but also because she is transferring into a community that shares similar beliefs as the University.

“Cabrini shares a similar set of values as Villanova: a commitment to community, respect, dedication to excellence and a vision,” Lysionek said.

She does, however, leave her home for the past two decades with a heavy heart.

“Villanova has been my professional home for 20 years,” she said.

“I will miss my colleagues, the strong sense of community and the students. It’s a wonderful place to work.”

Lysionek called DeMarco “wonderfully qualified.”

As a former Villanova student, he served as both resident assistant and as head resident assistant. During his duties as assistant dean for the past seven years, DeMarco has worked very closely with resident assistants, area coordinators and the resident assistant selection process.

Lysionek said, “He shares our [Residence Life’s] commitment to extending Villanova’s learning environment into the residence halls.”

DeMarco looks forward to working with students in a different capacity, not simply a judicial one.

“I get to work not just with students, but the Residence Life staff, and RAs and head residents,” he said.

Lysionek, who has become an institution in the Residence Life program, will be missed by her colleagues.

As a fellow Residence Life employee said, “There will be a large void … she’s a pretty big presence here and in Student Life, and those are big shoes to fill.”

He continued, “We’ll miss her vision she had for Residence Life and Student Life.”