S&D: Men and Women make waves against G’town

Jamie Augustinski

Saturday was a great day for the men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams, as both picked up impressive wins against Georgetown at the Villanova Swim Center. The men’s team’s 167-67 victory was its first team win of the season. Mike Hanne started off the big day by winning the 1-meter and 3-meter diving events. Senior David Drysdale and freshman Sean Whipkey helped to keep the momentum with two wins each in individual events.

Drysdale, who took first place in the 200-meter IM and the 100-meter breaststroke, commented on how important this meet was and how much the victory meant to the team.

“This meet was one we targeted since the schedule came out over the summer,” Drysdale said. “We knew it would be close and we wanted to be prepared for it. Everybody was swimming seasonal-best races, even some lifetime bests. What should have been a close race turned into a blowout.”

He was pleased with the way everyone on the team prepared for and swam in the meet.

“It was a great meet for the entire team, especially the seniors,” Drysdale said. “We have been working hard for three years, and it has finally paid off. Everyone, even the freshmen, knew how much this meet meant to the program, and everyone stepped up.”

Whipkey is one of the freshmen who stepped up for the team, winning the 50- and 100-meter freestyle races. He gave credit to the fans, saying, “This was one of the most exciting meets I have ever experienced. The stands at our home pool were packed with painted faces, posters and screaming fans who were behind us the entire meet.”

AJ Mak, Brett Karbac, John Spindler and Ryan McKenna also contributed to the men’s win, each picking up wins in individual events. Tomorrow the men face Widener at home.

The women beat Georgetown by a score of 173-61 and were led by freshman Carly Beck, who had two individual wins: the 200-meter freestyle and the 100-meter butterfly. She was pleased with her individual accomplishments and the team’s efforts and victory.

“Though it was exciting to win the 200 free and the 100 fly, what was most important to me was that I was able to swim close to my best times in each event,” she said. “The team’s excitement and confidence going into the meet was what really got each of the swimmers pumped up for each race. If we are able to carry this mentality through last weekend, I have no doubt that our domination of Georgetown will be only one of many successes for the Villanova swim team this year.”

Also contributing to the women’s win was Lindsay Davis, who won the 1-meter and 3-meter diving events, and six women who picked up individual wins: Jenny Somerville, Jesse Radtke, Caitlin Regan, Marlee Morden, Allison Stine and Tiffany Brown. The next meet for the women will be on Jan. 12, when they, along with the men’s team, will travel to College Park, Md., to take on Pittsburgh, Maryland and Richmond.