MLAX: ‘Cats fall short to Towson

Tony Lovisa

The men’s lacrosse team played host to the Towson Tigers in the Villanova Stadium on a foggy Saturday evening. After falling behind 6-1 after almost three quarters, the Wildcats went on a scoring rampage, only to fall short as time expired.

The Tigers (4-2, 1-0 CAA) scored three unanswered goals in the first quarter to put the pressure on the Wildcats (3-3, 0-1 CAA). Towson sophomore Randall Cooper netted the first when he caught the rebound off a Villanova save and put it in for the goal. This goal was followed with another goal by sophomore Justin Schneider on the run. With less than two minutes left in the first quarter, freshman Cryder DiPietro scored an unassisted goal to polish off Towson’s first scoring run.

The Wildcats answered at the beginning of the second quarter with a goal from senior Andy German. Thirty seconds into the quarter, German scored his first of two goals on junior Towson goalie Matt Antol. The Villanova attack was short-lived, as Towson junior Kyle Batton scored unassisted to close out the first half.

Towson carried the scoring run into the second half by adding two more goals and stretching its lead to 6-1. First, junior Jonathan Engelke scored on Villanova goalie, sophomore Andrew DiLoreto. Junior Brian Vetter followed this by scoring from about 40 yards out on a goal left surprisingly empty by the Villanova defense. At this point, the Towson offense went cold, and the Villanova offense went on the attack, scoring four goals but falling just short of completing its spirited comeback attempt.