Season Recap: Men’s Swimming and Diving

Jamie Augustinsky

The Wildcats’ season was characterized by the upperclassmen’s leadership along with great contributions by the freshman members of the team. In the home opener, a loss to La Salle, freshman AJ Mak picked up two wins for the team, and in the Bucknell Sprint Invitational in early November, Mak and fellow freshman Brett Karbach won the 500-meter freestyle and the 200-meter freestyle, respectively. Senior Ryan McKenna swam to a second-place finish in the 200-meter freestyle and senior David Drysdale came in second place in the 100-meter IM and third place in the 50-meter breaststroke. During the Terp Cup, which was held in mid-November at the University of Maryland, the team finished 12th overall, led by Mak, who swam to a 15th place finish in the 1,650-meter freestyle, and freshman Jonathan Spindler, who came in 16th place in the 200-meter butterfly. The men picked up two key wins against Georgetown and Widener before competing in a two-day event in Maryland against Maryland, Pittsburgh and Richmond, where the team finished third. The men lost their last home meet against Syracuse, but five team members were honored before the event for their dedication to the team over the last four years: Drysdale, Michael Kernicky, Stephen Kress, Ryan McCormick and McKenna. The men closed their season by competing in the Big East championships, where they finished 10th overall as a team.