‘Tis the season to celebrate

Ashley Jefferson

From the creatively arranged holiday lights that can be seen hanging in many residence hall windows to the large decorated Christmas tree by the Oreo, nearly everywhere you look in and around campus there is something to remind you that it’s that time of the year.Ever since the cold weather rolled around, the sights and sounds of the holidays have definitely been in the air. If the snow didn’t help put you in the mood, don’t fret because there is a slew of things on and around campus to help get you in the holiday spirit. Whether it’s for Christmas, Hanukah, Kwanza, or a mixture of all three, Villanova and its students are ringing in the holidays in many creative ways.The Campus Activities Team christened the start of the holiday season with Merry Christmas Villanova Week. The week was full of all of the typical traditions, from the tree lighting to pictures with Santa Claus himself. Although the week has come and gone and dreaded finals are approaching, that doesn’t mean that all the festivities are over.With finals rolling around it might be hard to find yourself in the holiday spirit. It is hard to think about what to get your little brother for Christmas when you have a 10-page theology paper due and a huge ACS final to study for and … but I digress. With so much going on, even Dining Services is lending a hand in lightening the load and increasing the merriment. The annual End-of-Semester celebration dinner in the resident dining halls will be tonight. You can gather all your friends and have one last meal before you prepare for finals and go home for break. It just might be the thing to get you in the mood for the holidays.If food just doesn’t do it for you, don’t worry. That is just the tip of the iceberg; there is something out there for everyone. Maybe music is your thing. If so, come out and join the Sirens and Spires for their annual winter concert. It’s being held on Saturday at 8 p.m. in CEER 001. If you are too busy and just can’t find the time to come out, then simply turn on WXVU 89.1 FM. If you think you’ll just hear the same Top 40 hits that are played on local stations, you’ll definitely be in for a surprise. All December long, WXVU will be playing seasonal music to get you in the holiday spirit. So take a break from studying for finals and packing, and gather all your hallmates for a holiday sing-a-long.Although celebration and fun are important during the holidays, it is also important to take time out for those who are less fortunate. Some people don’t have the luxury of having even the least significant of things that we take for granted. So if your plan for semester break is to lazily lie around the house and watch TV, maybe you should consider volunteering instead. Campus Ministry will be sponsoring quite a few mission trips over the semester break in countries such as Bolivia, India and South Africa. For more information on the mission trips, as well as other volunteer activities, you can contact Nancy Ata, service break experience coordinator.’Twas the last week of the semester, and all through the campus, Villanova students should be full of holiday cheer. Yet, for some that’s not the case with finals drawing so near. Take a break from studying and treat yourself to some holiday fun. From food to music to volunteer work, there is definitely something out there for everyone. Happy Christmahanukwanzakah to all and to all a good break.