Keeping your New Year’s Resolution

Kelly Skahan

As Villanova students get used to the new semester, scraping up money for books and scrambling to keep their new schedules in order, they also face an even more daunting task: maintaining their New Year’s resolutions.

With the year 2008 only a precious two weeks old, students often struggle to make the transition from their family environment to life on campus, where they may find it more difficult to keep up a new habit (or stay away from an old one) without support and resources from home.

Though it may not be particularly difficult to eat well when parents are paying for food, it’s a different task when to shop for yourself. Similarly, a bad habit that was easy to break at home may be harder to avoid at school, where the pressure of friends and roommates may cause a student to succumb to temptation.

“I try to eat the same at school as I do at home,” says sophomore Martina Honovich. “The school does a good job of having fruit and everything out, but sometimes you’re kind of limited to what’s available today.”

In other cases, however, Villanova may contribute to a resolution.

“It’s way easier to get to the gym here,” says Bri Ipjian, a sophomore who has resolved to work out more in the new year. “I’m on the rowing team, so I have an incentive to stay in shape, too.”

The University’s fitness centers also offer free group classes, including yoga, pilates, dance and a boot camp program for students, helping those who aim to work out more in 2008. There are also pools in St. Mary’s Hall and the Pavilion that have hours specifically designated for student use.

Sophomore Mike Zborwksi is focusing his resolution on the new semester.

“I want to waste less time on Facebook this semester,” he remarks.

Many students, however, choose not to make resolutions.

“I don’t have one,” says senior Lindsey DeFilippo. “The way I see it, I’ll probably break it within a week, so why have a week without it in the first place?”

Sophomore Katie Grasing agrees.

“My resolution is to stop making resolutions,” she says. “I make one every year and stress myself out about it and then break it, so this year I’m passing.”

Some resolutions, however, are much more optimistic. After traveling to Bolivia with a service trip over Christmas break, Lindsey Hamilton has decided to change her outlook for the New Year.

“I want to live in the moment and make the best of the next two-and-a-half years here,” the sophomore explains. “I want to enjoy life as it comes to me and not dwell in the past.”