Track: Several ‘Cats place in Miami

Corey Marine

The track team had several standout performances at the Miami Elite Invitational in Coral Gables, Fla., on April 12.

The women dominated their 800-meter run, coming up with three top 10 finishes among a group of 27 racers. Senior Arusha McKenzie placed second with a time of 2:09.98, a mere 0.38 seconds behind senior Karen Kozub of Central Florida. Junior Jordan Sarruda took fifth with a time of 2:13.19. Junior Emily McMillan rounded out ‘Nova’s runners for this race, coming in ninth with 2:20.10 on the clock.

Freshman Kristen Mahon also had a top 10 finish when she competed in the women’s 400-meter hurdles. She finished with a time of 1:00.81, landing her in seventh place out of 16 participants, along with recording a NCAA qualifying time.

The women’s 4×400-meter relay finished fourth among a field of 10 teams. The team, composed of sophomore Makalia Griffith, Sarruda, Mahon and freshman Jessona McDonald, ended with a time of 3:43.30.

Senior Patrick Gazzini won the men’s 400-meter hurdles with his time of 52.08, an NCAA regional qualifying time. Junior Elliot Whaley took a third-place finish in the same event with a lifetime-best time of 53.17.

Senior Kevin Okolie had a strong showing, taking ninth and 10th in two different races. He took 10th in the 100-meter dash among a field 58 runners. He later brought home ninth in the finals with a time of 21.42.

Junior Elvis Lewis and sophomore Garrett Kroner also had good multiple-race outings. The Saturday meet marked the first open meet Lewis has competed in since he ran in the Big East Indoor Championships. He placed fifth in the men’s 400-meter dash with a time of 47.25. Kroner followed him across the finish line 1.25 seconds later, taking 10th place in the event.

The duo also participated in the men’s 4×400-meter dash. Lewis was the first runner and was followed by Kroner, freshman Christopher Giunta and senior John Morse. The relay team’s effort brought in a second-place finish at the event with an impressive time of 3:11.93.

Next up for both the men and women’s teams is the Widener Invitational held in Chester, Pa. The event will take place Saturday and is slated to last all day.