Fight Mascne: Top Skincare Products For College Students

Courtesy of A Magazine

COVID-19 protective face masks are bound to cause breakouts, even with perfect hygiene.

Maddie Schieder, Staff Writer

The pandemic has done much damage to humans everywhere in a variety of ways, including our skin under the mask. Wearing a mask is mandated everywhere, which is great to prevent the spread of COVID-19. However, it will cause some breakouts if worn all day in different weather conditions. Even those with perfect hygiene will experience these spots. It is bound to happen, but do not fear. Here is a list of top skincare products for college students that are affordable and effective for alleviating some of the stress of wearing a mask and taking it off. 

Nothing feels better than ripping that mask off at the end of the day. However, as soon as you are able to take it off, make sure to wash away the dirt and grime that was collected all day. Here are a few face washes perfect for any skin type with simple ingredients and reasonable prices.

1. Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser ($6.39 at Target)

2. Neutrogena Ultra Gentle Hydrating Daily Facial Cleanser for Sensitive Skin ($8.22 at Walmart)

3.CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser ($10.99 at Target)

4. La Roche-Posay Toleriane Hydrating Gentle Facial Cleanser ($15 on Amazon)

5.Youth to the People Superfood Cleanser ($36 at Sephora)

After using a face wash, do not be shy to go in with more products. Micellar water is a great option to get rid of any extra dirt the face wash did not cleanse. This can be used with a cotton pad, and it makes your skin glow. There are so many brands out there ranging from Garnier to Simply sold at drugstores down the road, including the Lancaster CVS. Many people stop here, but to get rid of those larger and most unwanted friends on your face, let’s keep going. 

Amazon has a very large range of skincare products to offer. Depending on skin type and price range, it is not hard to find the perfect fit. Following a double cleanse, there are many directions available. One can use serums, moisturizers, eye creams, face masks and more. Some of these products are fairly expensive, but don’t let this scare you. There are plenty of serums and additional formulas in the college student budget range. 

1. Good Molecules Hyaluronic Acid Serum ($6 on Good Molecules Website)

2. The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 ($6.80 at Sephora)

3. CeraVe Daily Moisturizing Lotion ($8.99 at Target)

4. iUNIK Serums: Black Snail, Tea Tree Relief ($16.99 on Amazon)

5. Versed Sunday Morning Antioxidant Oil Serum ($19.99 at Target)

6. Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Overnight Hydrating Mask ($28.50 at Kiehl’s)

7. Drunk Elephant C-Firma Vitamin C Day Serum ($80 at Sephora)

Although some of these products are not exactly “cheap,” they are worth the price, given they are on the cheaper side of post-face-wash products. Notable brands like The Ordinary, iUNIK, Versed and Drunk Elephant are trusted by many. On the other hand, brands with simple ingredients like CeraVe and Cetaphil are great for clearing up unwelcomed acne. Using a good lip balm overnight also helps with the “maskne,” as adding cracked lips to the mess is not a good look. Try out new products if one is not working. There are plenty out there to try, so one does not have to worry about those pesky breakouts any longer.