A Guide to ACAPPELLAPALOOZA

Jessica Roster

Last Friday, Villanova’s Acappellapalooza featured several of the University’s a cappella groups. Each is unique both in music and members and is a valuable asset to the Villanova community, bringing entertainment and unity through music.

The Villanova Spires – “Spires on Fires!”The Spires are an all-male subgroup of the Villanova Singers, and the oldest of anya cappella group on campus. The Spires consistently put on an exciting performance with a variety of different kinds of music, covering artists such as Billy Joel, Third Eye Blind and the Temptations. The Spires traditional song is “A Change in My Life,” covered from Rockapella. Its best group moment was in an intense a cappella competition at Boston College, when the Spires had a flawless performance that earned them a huge victory. This past Spring Break, the Spires travelled to Rio de Janiero, Brazil and had the opportunity to sing for young kids at a daycare/preschool for children in need, deep in the heart of a Brazilian flavela.  As they sang, the children danced with them and made the performance the most memorable of any they’ve done. They’ve recently been invited to audition for an a cappella reality competition series that has just been picked up by NBC.

Nothing But Treble – “NBT” NBT is an all-female a cappella group founded four years ago by nine girls committed to producing great, entertaining music with friends. Their legacy song is “Raining Men,” which they sing at the end of each concert. They invite any alumni present in the audience to come on stage and sing with them, which is a special feature of the group. Some of NBT’s recent favorite songs include “In the End” by Linkin Park, arranged by senior Ellen Carson, and “One Step at a Time” by Jordin Sparks, arranged by sophomore Serena Ganvir. They have been worked with the dance ensemble, Special Olympics committee, men’s and women’s basketball, Walk for Life and other organizations.

Villanova Supernovas

The Supernovas is a co-ed a cappella group that carries an eclectic repertoire of songs from artists like Billy Joel, the Fray, M.I.A. and Justin Timberlake. They sing everything from oldies to R&B and love performing for a vast array of audiences. The Supernovas favorite group song is “Your Love” by the Outfield and their best times are the American Idol-style auditions. Of all their performances, they enjoy Acappellapalooza the most.

The Sirens

The Villanova Sirens, established in 2006, are one of the three all-female a cappella groups on campus. They are completely student run and maintain a core group of approximately 13-15 girls. Their repertoire includes songs by Rascal Flatts, Maroon 5, the Pussycat Dolls, Justin Timberlake, Rufus Wainwright and Natasha Bedingfield.

Vocal Minority Vocal Minority is an all-male a cappella group. Founded in 2003, the group began as a bunch of guys who just wanted to sing. Preceded by the upstart group, “The Chill,” Vocal Minority has become known for being only about the music and having fun. Their current songs include “What I Got” by Sublime, “Under the Bridge” by the Red Hot Chili Peppers and “Roll to Me” by Del Amitri.