Women’s cross country wins regionals, men finish second overall

Lindsey Beakes

The women’s cross country team automatically advanced to the NCAA Championships after winning the Mid-Atlantic Regional on Saturday. The muddy conditions of the course at the University of Maryland-Eastern Shore did not stop the No. 2 Wildcats from dominating the field by a 54 point margin.

Junior Sheila Reid won the race in 20:23, earning herself another individual title, her fourth of the season. Coming in second was fellow junior, Amanda Marino, who finished the course in 20:27. Reid and Marino were able to run with the front pack until it grew to four runners. At that point, there was about 800 meters to go, and Reid and Marino broke away from Emily Infeld of Georgetown and Bridget Franek of Penn State.

Next in line for the Wildcats was sophomore Bogdana Mimic, who placed fifth with a time of 20:47. Coming in sixth directly behind her was junior Ali Smith who clocked in at 20:49. Rounding out Villanova’s scorers was senior Kaitlyn Tallman, who was able to place ninth by finishing the course in 20:57.

Villanova’s tother two runners, senior Nicole Schappert and freshman Brooke Simpson, finished in 21:02 and 21:19, placing 12th and 15th, respectively. Schappert and Simpson also helped to displace other team’s runners.

Each runner earned Mid-Atlantic region honors for finishing in the top-25.

The Wildcats were able to finish four runners ahead of runner-up Princeton’s first. No. 7 West Virginia had 82 points for third. Penn State and Georgetown finished fourth and fifth with 98 and 100 points respectively.

The men’s cross country team will also be going to the NCAA Championships after a second place finish at the Mid-Atlantic Regional. The No. 20 Wildcats finished with 48 points; Georgetown came in first with 38 points. ‘Nova finished ahead of St. Joseph’s, who had 181 points, Navy, with 201 and La Salle, with 203.

Sophomore Mathew Mildenhal finished first for the team and second overall in 31:42. He was right behind Georgetown’s Andrew Bumbalough, who clocked in at 31:41. Mildenhal was right in front of junior Hugo Beamish who clocked in at the same time and was able to place fourth overall. Seniors Dan Lewis and Bobby Papazian finished in 32:06 and 32:07 to get 10th and 11th place, respectively. Lewis and Paprazian ran as a pack, just as juniors Carl Mackenzie and Matt Gibney did. Mackenzie and Gibney both crossed the line at 32:42 to place 21st and 22nd. Rounding out the runners for Villanova was freshman Matt Kane who earned 51st place after he crossed the line at 33:40.

The top six runners for Villanova finished in the top 25, and, therefore, earned All-Mid Atlantic region honors.

Both teams are now looking ahead to the NCAA Championships, hosted by Indiana State, on Nov. 23 in Terre Haute, Ind.