Aleksandar Gavalyugov Commits to Villanova

Villanova+has+one+remaining+scholarship+spot+on+its+roster+for+the+2024-25+season.+
Graydon Paul/Villanovan Photography
Villanova has one remaining scholarship spot on its roster for the 2024-25 season.

Villanova expanded its prospects overseas in their latest commit, picking up 18-year-old Aleksandar Gavalyugov. A recent graduate of the NBA Global Academy in Australia, the 6-foot-2 point guard is looking to add some of his international knowledge to Villanova’s backcourt.

Before his commitment to Villanova, Gavalyugov was one of the top prospects from his country. He was a member of Bulgaria’s Youth National Teams at the U16 and U18 levels, averaging 21.9 points, 5.0 rebounds, and 6.6 assists in 2023. 

“My short-term goals are to win the European Championship Division B with Bulgaria with both teams, U20 and U18,” Gavalyugov said in an interview last week with Beyond the Fast Break. “My long-term goal is to be a great player in the NBA. I want to play in DI next season.”

His choice to play at Villanova comes a week after Gavalyugov had a strong performance at the Adidas EuroCamp, averaging 15.7 points, 5.0 rebounds, and 6.3 assists. In his game against Team USA Select, he collected 22 points and six assists.

As for how he plans on adapting to American basketball, Gavalyugov believes in the same fundamentals of leadership and adapting.

“I see myself as a leader wherever I go,” Gavalyugov said. “My dad is always telling me that the great players adapt really fast to any situation. So I always try to adapt quickly and get to know my teammates, what they can do, and what the opponents can do as well. I’m always mentally prepared for any situation and confident in my skills.”

Villanova now has one more open scholarship left to complete the roster.