University student arrested after multiple counts of recording video in restroom

Neil MacDonald

On Oct. 26, Director of Public Safety David Tedjeske sent an email to the University community concerning an ongoing investigation into a student using a cell phone to record people using a restroom in Tolentine Hall. On multiple occasions, a “part-time commuter student” used a cell phone to take video recordings in the restroom near room 310A in Tolentine, one of the University’s busiest academic buildings. The email reads in part: “The investigation also revealed that a number of videos had been taken on different dates in the same restroom, once in April 2016, and four times this September. Investigators and computer analysts do not believe that any of the videos have been uploaded to the Internet.” Tedjeske writes that the student was arrested by Delaware County authorities and has not been on campus since the investigation began. According to court records obtained by The Villanovan, 19-year old Vincent Kane of Broomall, Pa., was arrested and charged with multiple offenses related to recording without consent, including 22 counts of invasion of privacy, 23 counts of criminal use of communications device, and one count of possession of child pornography. Kane was released on $50,000 bail and is due in Delaware County court in December. As of press time, the University directory does not show a record for Kane. It is unclear whether individual students captured on the recordings will be notified, but Tedjeske stresses that University resources are available for anyone affected by the incident.