University secures U.S. News and World Report Rankings once again

Courtesy of www.us.news.com

Chris Deucher

In the recent U.S. News & World Report Rankings released Sept. 11, the University received a #46 ranking in the National Universities category and a #17 ranking for Best Undergraduate Teaching.  Last year, the first time that the University was included in the National University Rankings, Villanova was granted a #50 ranking. 

“Schools in the National Universities category offer a full range of undergraduate majors, plus master’s and doctoral programs,” U.S. News & World Report Rankings’ website states.  “These colleges are also committed to producing groundbreaking research.”

The University shares its #46 ranking with Lehigh University, Pepperdine University, University of California-Davis, University of Miami and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

The U.S. News considers a variety of indicators when ranking universities: Academic reputation, student retention, faculty resources, student selectivity, financial resources, alumni giving, graduation rate performance and the perceptions of high school counselors.  There are around 1,400 four-year college and universities across the country included in U.S. News’ listings.  Of these schools of higher learning, 311 are considered to be National Universities.

As stated in a University press release:

“Villanova’s inclusion on the Best Undergraduate Teaching list places it among a select group of national universities with a strong commitment to undergraduate teaching. This ranking highlights the University’s dedication to excellence in teaching, personal attention and undergraduate research opportunities that give students the opportunity to partner with faculty mentors. In addition to Villanova’s placement on the National Universities and Best Undergraduate Teaching lists, Villanova also ranked #21 for “Alumni Giving,” #48 for “Best Value” and #49 among “High School Counselors’ Top College Picks.”

“Being counted among the top 50 higher education institutions in the country is a wonderful acknowledgement of the overall strength of the Villanova academic experience and the emphasis we place on successful student outcomes,” Rev. Peter M. Donohue, OSA, Ph.D., said.  “It is a testament to the Villanovans—students, faculty, staff and alumni—who have helped make this and other achievements possible.”

“Villanova’s overall ranking among the finest universities in the country further highlights our strong academics, impressive student outcomes and national reach. A particular point of pride is the recognition we received for our continued excellence in the education of undergraduates,” Patrick G. Maggitti, Ph.D., the University Provost, said. “Villanova’s inclusion in this select group validates our unwavering focus on undergraduate teaching and how it is uniquely enhanced by connecting and involving undergraduates in the research and scholarly pursuits of our outstanding faculty.”