Professor Joy Mullane Appointed Faculty Director of University Graduate Tax Program

Emily Cox Co News Editor

The University has announced the appointment of Joy Mullane, Professor of Law, as Faculty Director of its Graduate Tax Program. This program is designed for legal, accounting and business professionals to learn with and from each other in integrated classes. These classes allow for in-depth, interdisciplinary examinations of tax principles and policies.

Professor Mullane has been a member of the University Charles Widger School of Law faculty since 2006. In her new role, Mullane will oversee the University’s nationally recognized graduate tax program, which is offered both on-campus and online.

“Joy is a recognized and respected leader and scholar at the Law School, and in the field of taxation,” Mark C. Alexander, The Arthur J. Kania Dean, Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law, said. “I am so pleased to have Joy at the helm of our program. She is on the cutting edge of the ever-changing field of taxation, and I know she will continue to innovate and grow the program as the industry evolves, as well as in response to the needs of our students.”

Mullane has been instrumental in the growth of the Graduate Tax Program, a cross-disciplinary program developed and managed by the Law School in conjunction with the School of Business.

Most notably, Mullane has helped to create and implement an innovative model for teaching. The model includes a flipped classroom, regular assessments and real-time feedback that affords students a more active learning environment and encourages greater student engagement. For her contribution, she was recognized, along with Professor Les Book, with Villanova Law’s Diane E. Ambler ’78 Faculty Curricular Innovation Award. The award honors faculty members who have distinguished themselves through innovation in creating pedagogical and curricular changes with a positive impact on the Law School.

“I am honored to become the Faculty Director of the Villanova Graduate Tax Program,” Professor Mullane said. “This innovative program is renowned for its exceptional interdisciplinary faculty, unparalleled commitment to academic excellence, and rigorous development of practical skills.  I look forward to working with faculty, students, staff, alumni and employers as we continue to propel the Graduate Tax Program forward.”