Students Celebrate Family Weekend on Campus

meghan+ohara

meghan ohara

Allie Arleo Staff Writer

On Friday morning, while students across campus hurried to vacuum their 13×14 dorm rooms and finish whopping piles of laundry, moms and dads traveled from far and near to campus to partake in Villanova’s Annual Family Weekend. Villanova families celebrated the beginning of a new academic year with a few trips to the King of Prussia Mall, some off-campus dinners, a football win against the University of Maine and other various on-campus activities. 

On Friday, the weekend kicked off with various tours of campus and a “Villanova Classroom Experience,” in which families could tour and sit in on various classes to get a glimpse of what daily life is like for students. In the evening, families enjoyed ’Nova Nights Family Style, which included an a Capella showcase, on-campus movies, and a dessert reception.

Saturday afternoon, families gathered behind the football stadium and joined in celebration at the President’s Tailgate. This event, hosted by Chrissy Quisenberry, Director of Presidential Initiatives and Events, included an assortment of food and drinks catered by Villanova Dining Services, a performance from the Villanova Band and a toast from University President Rev. Peter M. Donohue, O.S.A., Ph. D. Afterwards, families crowded the Stadium to watch the Villanova vs University of Maine football game, which Villanova won.

On Saturday night, fans piled into The Finn to see John Mulaney’s highly anticipated show. Best known for his work as a writer for Saturday Night Live and as a stand-up comedian, Mulaney captivated Villanova families with his hilarious skits, charming demeanor and witty humor. In one of his bits, he cracked various jokes about the spotted lanternflies that have invaded Pennsylvania over the last few weeks and even poked fun at the frenzy that has emerged on campus in response to them. He even mocked The Villanovan for making it the headline of last week’s edition. “He was so funny… everyone in the Pavilion was hysterically laughing,”Senior Claire Schafer said.

Sunday morning, a Senior Breakfast was hosted at the Drexelbrook, an events venue 20 minutes from campus. The buffet style breakfast was accompanied by speeches from JJ Brown, the Director of Student Involvement, Father Stack, Vice President of Student Life and Jay Wright, Villanova’s basketball coach. In Wright’s speech, he encouraged the Class of 2020 to enjoy senior year and cherish their time on campus. Senior Lauren DePiero believed this speech served as a reminder to not get too caught up in the anxiety of the job search or graduate school applications.“Coach Wright gave us a much needed reminder to focus on the present and enjoy the remaining time we have” DePiero said.

The weekend closed with a Family Weekend Mass in the Finn on late Sunday morning. Afterward, families said goodbye to their sons and daughters as the fun-filled and successful weekend came to a close.