What To Do On Campus: Holiday Edition

treh

treh

Calista Huang

Looking for something fun and relaxing as the final week is approaching? Want to fully experience the holiday spirit both on and off campus? Here’s a peek at what you can do in the last few weeks of the semester here at Nova.

A Cappella’s End-of-Semester Winter Concerts

In celebration of the holiday spirit of the year, the eight a cappella groups will be featured in their end-of-semester concert, presented by the Villanova Office of Music Activities. The renowned a cappella groups on campus will celebrate the holidays this upcoming weekend, with concerts starting this Friday at 7:00 p.m. with Vocal Minority and Minor Problem, performing in St. Mary’s chapel. The concerts continue into the weekend, with the Haveners and Measure Up performing Saturday evening at 7:30 p.m. in St. Mary’s Chapel as well. The Villanova Sirens and the Spires will be performing together on Sunday, Dec. 8 at 2:00 p.m. in Driscoll 134. Nothing But Treble and the Villanova Supernovas round out the weekend on Sunday evening,. What could be a better way to start the Christmas season than festive a capella performances with a Christmas twist? 

Tree Lighting Ceremony

This year’s Tree Lighting Ceremony will be held on December 9 at the Ellipse. The Villanova Singers, Voices and Ensemble will be featured at the ceremony, singing a medley of holiday carols to officially kick off the holiday season on campus. The ceremony—like the one last year—will be overseen by University President Father Peter Donohue, O. S. A., Ph. D. This will be a great chance to take holiday photos with your friends. The winter night will also be warmed by free hot chocolate offered at the ceremony. Horsedrawn carriages will trot around campus, so if you’ve ever wanted to pretend you live in a Hallmark movie, come to the Oreo nice and early to get in line. Enjoy the holiday atmosphere with your friends and see what our campus has to offer at this year’s tree lighting ceremony. It will be a great night lit with various holiday traditions.

End-of-Semester Dinner

Finals got you hungry? The End-of-Semester Celebration Dinner is your reward for all the hard work you’ve done during the past semester and prepares you for the tough final week. By then, all residence dining halls will be decorated with festive ornaments for the holiday spirit. Great food, and dessert, will be served in Donahue, Dougherty and St. Mary’s dining hall. So save that meal on December 12, Thursday for the feast! Note that the event is free with valid meal swipes to students who are enrolled in any meal plans. Guests are also welcomed to join by paying $15 using cash, points, Nova Bucks, Visa or Mastercard. Feel free to bring your friends from off campus and join the celebration together.

Trip to New York City

Want a last getaway before being overwhelmed by finals? Hop on the CAT bus for a one-day trip to New York City. On this trip, you will get to enjoy what the city has to offer and feel the holiday spirit at this time of year. All those legendary attractions, Time Square, Broadway, Empire State Building, are only a ride away. The excitement starts at 9 a.m., December 7. Tickets are available on VillanovaTix. Spread the word and invite your friends on this magical trip to NYC.

Villanova Voices & Singers Christmas Concert

This year’s Villanova Voices & Villanova Singers Christmas Concert will take place on December 7, 2 pm in St. Mary’s Chapel. Christine Nass, the Associate Director of the Office of Music Activities will conduct the Voices. The concert will also introduce our new Singers Director Ted Latham, who is making his concert debut at this event. Other A Capella groups on campus will also attend the concert and present wonderful performances in celebration of the Christmas season. The admission to the concert will be free, so save the date and invite your friends to this great event.

Villanova Jazz and Vocal Christmas Concert

Our very own Jazz Band on campus is holding their Christmas concert on December 5, Thursday at 8 pm. The band will perform a wide variety of Christmas favorites and classics. Student vocalists is also joining the concert as another feature of this exciting event. The event will take place in Belle Air Terrace. Save the date and join our Jazz Band and vocalists and see if your favorite Christmas tune is on the list.