Men’s Track and Field Impresses in New York and Boston

Billy Vinci

On Friday, the Villanova’s men’s track and field competed in the FastTrack National Invitational in Staten Island, N.Y. Following that contest, it competed in the David Hemery Valentine Invitational at Boston University.

In New York, junior long jumper Michael Troup had a memorable competition, measuring a personal best of 7.33 meters to finish first in the long jump out of 43 competitors. The 7.33 meters put Troup in the lead in the Big East for the long jump. 

Junior Vincent Sengelmann competed in the long jump and hit his personal best on the season with 6.81 meters. That was good for eigth in the competition among 41 jumpers. 

Freshman sprinter Anthony Brodie won the 400 meters with a time of 47.66, his best of the season. That time moved Brodie into second place in the Big East for the 400 meters. Four other Wildcats ran the 400 meters, with junior Richie Bush also clocking in below 50 seconds at 49.19. Juniors Amir Brock and Keegan Hughes came in at 50.06 and 50.61 respectively, and senior Dan Powers finishing at 51.37. 

In the pole vault, sophomore Jim Keys jumped 4.70 meters in his second consecutive strong outing. Juniors Jacob Kelly and Ryan Tompkins finished with a height of 1.99 meters in the high jump, tying for third in the entire event. Sophomore Peter Willis finished eighth in the pole vault, clearing 1.89 meters.  

In Boston, sophomore middle distance runner Charlie O’Donovan had a historic weekend, clocking a 3:58.95 mile. The sub-four-minute mile is the first of his career, and he becomes the 42nd Villanovan to achieve this feat. Senior Logan Wetzel came almost as close as possible to a sub-four-minute mile himself, finishing at 4:00.05.

Senior Andrew Marston recorded a personal best in the 3000 meters, clocking in at 7:59.25. Redshirt freshman Haftu Strintzos also had a personal best in the 3000 meters at 8:05.74, while sophomore Josh Phillips recorded a time of 8:11.85. 

Men’s track and field returns to action next weekend in which it will compete in the JDL DMR Invitational in Winston-Salem, N.C.