University Places All Summer Courses and Institutes Online

Emily Cox Co-Editor-in-Chief

Over the past few weeks, University students have been sent home, seen school events and athletic matches cancelled, and had all courses placed online for the remainder of the semester. Today, Provost Patrick G. Maggitti, PhD announced in an email to faculty, students, and staff that all summer courses and programs will be offered online for the Summer 2020 semester. 

As the University continues to manage the challenges that the COVID-19 pandemic presents to the community and campus, Maggitti offered an update about the upcoming academic term and other matters.

“In Summer 2020, all courses for undergraduate and graduate students — including those originally scheduled to be held in person and on campus — will now be offered online,” Maggitti wrote. The plan was developed in consultation with Deans and faculty leadership. 

With the transition to place courses online for the summer, the Engineering Entrepreneurship Summer Institute (E2SI) and Summer Business Institute (SBI) will be offered online this coming summer. ES2I, open to all majors, allows students to take 16 credits over the course of seven weeks to obtain the College of Engineering’s most popular minor in engineering entrepreneurship. SBI, created specifically for non-business majors, focuses on finance, economics, accounting, analytics, marketing and management to allow students to receive a minor in business during the 16-credit program. 

A decision regarding on-campus research for the summer has yet to be reached. Maggittii explained that Dr. Amanda Grannas, Associate Vice Provost for Research and Chief Research Officer, would soon notify the research community once a plan is finalized. 

The decision to hold on-campus conferences and camps at the University will be announced to the community after next Tuesday, April 14. 

In his email to the community, Maggitti referenced a new, comprehensive FAQ online for faculty and students with questions on the University’s enhanced grading options for the semester. Class to be held this summer will proceed with standard grading policies. 

“As information becomes available, we will continue to update the community on important academic matters,” Maggitti wrote. “I want to thank you for your continued patience and perseverance during this challenging time.”