Swim and Dive Welcomes Alumni as Assistant Coach

Courtesy of @NovaSwimDive Instagram

Tee Parris

The ’Nova Nation is lucky to welcome back one of its best from the Class of 2013 as a new Swimming and Diving Assistant Coach: Laura McGlaughlin. McGlaughlin has a long history with the University, beginning with her mother, who graduated from Villanova. 

McGlaughlin grew up 30 minutes away from the campus and was originally not interested in attending the school until her on-campus visit, when she was able to interact with the swim team and get a better understanding of the school. This visit changed her mind, and she began the process of becoming a Villanova student-athlete.  

While earning her degree in communication, McGlaughlin competed feverishly on the women’s swim team. She was selected to the Big East all-Academic Team and was team captain for the 2012-2013 season. McGlaughlin made regular appearances in the U.S. Swim circuit. She swam in the 2012 Olympic trials and in various U.S. Open Championships, U.S.A. Nationals and U.S. Pro Series competitions. 

After graduating in 2013, McGlaughlin spent two years interning for the Villanova Athletics Department. She then left Villanova to gain more experience and learn new lessons. 

While away from Villanova, McGlaughlin coached at Georgetown for three years. In her final year there, she helped the women’s team earn runner-up status in the Big East Championships, and she helped the men finish third in the conference. She continued her success as a coach working with the University of Pennsylvania swim team. There, she guided an unprecedented 15 swimmers to school record-breaking times. 

After her success away from Lancaster Ave., McGlaughlin has returned to continue her rich story here. She brings along with her a wealth of knowledge and experience. McGlaughlin explains that her return is as a result of the incredible journey that she had as a student-athlete at Villanova. 

She is excited to give back to the sports program that shaped her and gave her so much, and she is coming back with a lot of ideas and various goals for the team. 

McGlaughlin is inspired by the talented group of swimmers that the University currently has. She applauds the incredible achievements they have had over the past couple of years, most notably the women’s seven-year streak as winners of the Big East Conference. She sees so much talent in this team and is aspiring to work with them so that they may hopefully compete with the Big 10 or Big 12 in the near future.

COVID-19 has affected many aspects of normal college life. Athletics is in no way spared from this chaos, and McGlaughlin acknowledges the challenges COVID-19 has presented the swim team with. She chooses, however, to focus on pushing the reset button. She views the pandemic as an opportunity to slow down, set new goals and refocus the team. McGlaughlin is glad to be back during this time of change and growth. As a young and spirited coach, she hopes to bring new energy to the already incredible coaching staff here at Villanova. 

Swimming is usually winter sport, and Big East championships occur between mid-February and late-March. There is speculation about changing the swim season from the winter months to the spring.