Fall Trend Report – Unlikely Essentials for Your Closet

Courtesy of Devin Toolen

This outfit features a tennis skirt and an oversized crewneck sweatshirt. 

Devin Toolen, Staff Writer

Fashion is cyclical. Styles that were popular more than ten years ago are making their way back into modern looks. Young women are drawing fashion inspiration from icons like Rachel Green in “Friends” and even Paris Hilton in the early 2000s. Sometimes finding outfit inspiration is as easy as opening up your mom’s wardrobe. Let’s talk about some things you might find in the back of the closet begging you to wear them.

The mom jean was a trend popular in the early 90s that has come back into style. According to some people, like my mother, it’s a trend that should stay in the past. However, I think mom jeans are great, and I am a strong believer in the idea that if something makes you look and feel good, wear it as often as you like. Mom jeans have a high waistline that rises to about the center of the stomach, and they tend to have a lightly washed fade to them. Their versatility allows them to be worn in many different styles. You can wear mom jeans with a babydoll tee and white Keds or with booties and a turtleneck. The possibilities with these jeans are endless. Mom jeans are not necessarily a new trend, as some people haven’t stopped wearing them since the 90s. However, with the rise of Gen-Z fashionistas taking ideas from the past, younger women are starting to incorporate mom jeans into their everyday looks.

Another trend that has become increasingly popular over the last few months is the tennis skirt, which features a pleat in the design. You can buy tennis skirts from American Apparel, Brandy Melville or even Walmart. A lot of celebrities have been seen wearing tennis skirts with oversized crewneck sweatshirts and penny loafers or Doc Marten oxfords. Another way to wear a tennis skirt is with a men’s dress shirt over a tank top and some cute heeled booties. The tennis skirt style is definitely more fitting for late summer or early fall, but it is something to try while the weather is still warm in the area.

Next on the trend report is the sweater vest. Oversized, fitted or even cropped sweater vests have become popular over the past few months due to influencers like Emma Chamberlain and Olivia Rouyre incorporating them into their styles. This trend is definitely one I’ve struggled to try because it reminds me of my high school uniform. However, I’m surprised to see myself liking the style more and more. Sweater vests are easy items to thrift. Go into the men’s section in your local thrift store and look for argyle print or solid-colored sweater vests to add to your wardrobe. You can style sweater vests with a white men’s tee underneath, mom jeans and sneakers, or even with a dress shirt and a skirt.

Lastly, fun pants are really popular this fall. They can range from leather pants to jeans with prints, dress pants or even baggy pants. These styles were very popular in the late 80s. For many people, it’s easy to throw on a simple pair of jeans or even leggings with a top or sweater. However, taking risks and wearing unique pants this fall will definitely add excitement to your wardrobe. Not only will wearing a pant other than jeans elevate your look, but it’ll also make you feel more stylish. A great place to buy fun pants is Jaded London. This is an online shop from the United Kingdom that has amazing options for cool pants at great prices. For leather pants, try Aritzia. The leather pants it sells are more expensive. However, the price directly relates to the quality of the item. Quality leather products will last a long time. If you’re looking for a pair of dress pants or baggy pants, check out your local thrift store. These pants can look great paired with a corset top, creating a nice juxtaposition of tight and loose fitted clothing.

Trends come and go all the time. Styles from the early 2000s are now regaining their popularity. While it is fun to analyze fashion trends and keep up with current styles, it’s also important to embrace your individuality and wear whatever you want. If you like a certain style that might not be “trending,” you should wear it. The only thing that will never go out of style is confidence, and with that, you will always be on trend.