Villanova’s Best Run Spots

Dianna Regan
Students walk along the Ithan Valley Park waterfalls.

As Pennsylvania’s weather becomes nicer, runs (or walks) are the perfect opportunity to add diversity to a mundane routine. Whether one is a seasoned or beginner athlete, running can significantly improve not only physical endurance, but overall mood. Around Villanova and within the greater Bryn Mawr area, there are a multitude of local spots to explore.

1. Neighborhoods behind South Campus

My personal favorite running location is the area behind Good Counsel Hall on South Campus. This collection of residential neighborhoods has a truly serene atmosphere. Because the streets are largely dead-ends, there is minimal traffic, other than the occasional homeowner. Due to the layout of the neighborhoods, the routes are extremely predictable and forgiving. Each street connects along a singular road, forming paths that remove any worry of getting lost. Most importantly, you might get the chance to talk to passerby or pet a family dog.

2. Stoneleigh Garden

Stoneleigh Garden is a 42-acre property located near West Campus. It is owned by Natural Lands, a land conservation non-profit that promotes public use of the area. Stoneleigh offers visitors the chance to run or walk on paved pathways, which simulates the feeling of open road. Above all, its greatest appeal is the endless variety of natural trees and flowers. Stoneleigh is dedicated to the preservation of natural resources, and as such, aims to showcase the beauty of Pennsylvania environments. Heightened during the spring and summer months, the blooming flowers can’t be missed. The Garden also houses picnic tables, restrooms and other amenities, which invite visitors to stay for hours at a time. I love visiting Stoneleigh when I want to walk with friends (and maybe take a trip to Rosie’s on the way back).

3. Radnor Trail

The Radnor Trail is my next recommendation, due to its versatility. Like Stoneleigh, the Radnor Trail is fully paved. This lends itself perfectly to not only walking, but biking and similar activities. Unlike other locations on this list, the trail isn’t subject to passerby besides runners and hikers. As such, you won’t feel like you’re intruding on someone else’s space. I also like that the Radnor Trail is mostly covered. As temperatures expect to hit 90 degrees this week, the trail is a good place to stay cool and enjoy time outside.

4. Neighboring Colleges

If you need a break from Villanova’s campus, but still like the feel of an enclosed community, try walking or running around other Bryn Mawr schools. The three closest to Villanova are Rosemont College, Bryn Mawr College and Haverford College. They range from one to three miles away and are all unique in their own way. I enjoy walking around the sports complexes. If you time the schedule right, you could even catch a home game (though I have never done this). Still, if one is wanting to experience college life outside of Villanova’s bubble, visiting these schools is a great option.

5. Ithan Valley Park

Ithan Valley Park is a hidden gem just two miles past South Campus. The park itself is just over a mile long and loops back to the start, which makes route-planning a breeze. My favorite parts about the park are the many waterfalls and short cliffs. The trail loops around a creek that is perfect for sight-seeing and cooling off. While I wouldn’t recommend swimming in them, the waterfalls of Ithan Valley Park are a must-see, regardless.

Though Villanova might feel secluded at times, there are plenty of spaces to see and explore. Whether it be running or walking with friends, try to take advantage of local spots before choosing to visit Davis.